can a newborn or month old baby get a cold/flu?

my son's pediatrition told me that he can't get sick bc his immune system is twice as strong as mine. well he has a stuffy nose and can barely breathe :( and is coughin. he had a fever one night but she also said that it wasn't high enough to worry about...it was 99.2 under the arm and i have been told to add a degree when you do it under the arm so that would make it 100.2. what do u think?

EheartsZ07

Asked by EheartsZ07 at 1:51 PM on Jan. 29, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• yes babies can get colds. Who is he kidding!? Unfortunatly there isnt much you can do when they do get one when they are that young. All you can do is use saline in the nose, keep it cleared out as much as possible & give tylenol if the fever gets 102 or higher.
    Anonymous

• My baby scored a 10/10 on her apgars at birth... and at 3 weeks old she had caught my cold. I am not sure why your doctor said baby couldn't get sick, because they DEFINITELY can.

I bought her the little saline drops for her nose and a few days later she was okay.
    Itsonono

Answer by Itsonono at 1:56 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• I would suggest calling pedi for the tylenol. They will need to give you the ACCURATE dose for how much baby weighs and how big she is. You can over dose very easily if you give what it says on the box, because even if you use infant drops, it is intended for babies much older than yours.
    Itsonono

Answer by Itsonono at 1:58 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• I am sorry but that is the stupidest thing I have ever heard, yes a newborn can get sick. A axillary temp of 99.1 is considered normal for under the arm.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 1:58 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• okay thanks everyone...i thought she was crazy when i heard it too, but she's a doctor and a LOT smarter than i am so i just wanted second opinions. i'm thinkin about changing doctors!! but i am just so scared he has caught or will catch the swine flu. but i think i am gonna try the saline drops bc it is drivin me crazy knowin my poor baby can't breathe!!!!
    EheartsZ07

Answer by EheartsZ07 at 2:03 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• I think you need a new pediatrician
    Yes babies have some of moms natural antibodies but it's around 1-2 months that they are gone. Of course your child can get sick
    at anytime. Thats why Dr.s (good ones anyway)tell you to stay out of malls and airports etc till baby is about 3 months.
    While my baby didn't get sick at a month she was in the hospital with RSV at 3 months. You need to find a new pediatrician and don't wait for the next disagreement you have with her. If your little one has any trouble breathing or sounds raspy you need to get her to a Dr. Not only could she be sick she could be dangerously sick.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 2:07 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• Other things that can help - elevating their crib or having him sleep in a car seat or something where he isn't laying flat on his back, humidifier or having baby in the bathroom while you shower (assuming you don't take cold showers). I also use the saline drops but my one friend said she would use breast milk. She would just squirt it up her kids' noses while they were nursing. That way the baby thought it was an accident and didn't get all mad. My daughter's nose has cleared up now or I would be trying that because she really gets mad with the drops.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 2:10 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• Yes they can. In fact, when my first baby was born, she developed bronchitis 7 days later and had to be admitted to hospital.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 2:20 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• Dumb ped. OF COURSE they can get sick. Being a newborn doesn't put up an impenetrable shield!

Answer by gdiamante at 3:43 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• Oh,Yes. You should be very careful w/that. My little nephew was just in the hospital w/and RSV infection. My bro and sil had just had him at their ped and they told them it was nothing. I have a 9 and 5 yr old and my experience has been that you have to look out for your LOs because there are a lot of idiots out there even in the medical profession. If your baby is having trouble breathing/coughing and running a fever take him to the urgent care or emergency and ask them about RSV. It is very serious. It may be nothing but it's better to be on the safe side.
    Anonymous