Help me make our house rules

My almost 4 year old son is a handful to say the least, God love him!
I have 2 other kids as well, an 8 year old girl, Jake who will be 4 in march and a 16 month old son.
I need some house rules that will apply to every child that I can post and hopefully it will help my middle son behave better.
He goes to preschool and the teacher there runs a tight ship, I guess you have to with a room full of 3 year olds LOL but the thing is, he listens SO well to her! He knows full well how to behave but when it comes to at home listening to me, it is a constant struggle, and I find myself yelling at him alot and I dont like that :(
Anyways...I want to have like 6 solid rules that I can post on a poster for the kids to always see and know that no matter what , these rules are to always be followed!
What are YOUR house rules?

jlizgar

Asked by jlizgar at 2:19 PM on Jan. 29, 2010 in General Parenting

• I'm surprised no one has answered! But let me tell you..your son sounds like mine. He needed a predictable routine. Not an easy thing with my job, but we've done the best we can to make sure that he can always expect the same things at about the same time and that both of us will always give the same answer to certain situations.

I can't say we have "house rules" expect those that have to do with our safety...and those are pretty common sense. We have expectations which have increased over the years...when you get home, do your homework, when you take something out you must put it back, defiance has the consequence of losing a privilege. We also used a rewards board, giving him stars when something was completed.

Not to scare you...but our son's reliance on school structure was a sign of his Asperger's.

It's very easy NOT to have much structure at home, and that's probably the best thing you can set up.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:40 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• Our house rules:
    1. No hitting
    2. No name calling
    3. Do what you're asked to do
    4. Do the right thing (this covers a lot of stuff and encourages them to listen to their consciences)
    5. When in doubt, ask an adult.
    Avarah

Answer by Avarah at 5:10 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• We do not have house rules per se but we do have a few things that we require of our children: respect and manners.

The Duggar Family has some awesome family rules (http://www.duggarfamily.com/houseguidelines.html) and some of them can be adapted to any family.

Another good place to look for family rules is Super Nanny. She almost always posts rules for each family.
    Cafe Jenn

Answer by Cafe Jenn at 6:46 PM on Jan. 29, 2010