let boys pee outside??? seriously?

ok - so we live on a cul de sac - we have woods behind our house - where my dh built a cool tree fort. :) well - i keep seeing my son (8) walking home from school doing the "pee dance", and catch him walking to the edge of the woods and peeing. no one can see him from where he is... unless they are actually in thier backyard at the right time. (you cant see him from the road or anything) i told him a few times to get in the house and go to the bathroom. he keeps doing it though! and THEN my DH tells him its ok --- hes a boy -- thats what woods are for.. etc. ??? well - he will be playing kickball or whatever in the cul de sac with all of his friends and say wait i have to go pee - and he runs to the backard - or the edge of the woods and pees.... it makes me crazy! is it OK or not OK?? maybe i am too picky - but i would like him to just go inside and use the bathroom - often there are other parents out there watching!!! ?????

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:20 PM on Jan. 29, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I really wouldn't get worked up about it.... Boys will be boys, for some reason they LIKE peeing outside.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 2:21 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• I would have him come in the house unless the bathroom isn't available when he needs it. You and DH need to be on the same page with this.
    Anonymous

• Boys! They learn from an early age that the world is their urinal. I would not get worked up over this one. While I would prefer my sons to come and and go, they are by far not the first or last to whiz in the woods. It is just what they do. Pick your battles mama. As long as he is prude enough to be descrete about it and not just dropping trou when and where ever the mood strikes, I would save my energy for bigger issues.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 2:27 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• I know boys who were potty trained simply bc they would go outside more easily than in the toilet! Like Dogs! Grown men will still pee outside if their wives don't scold them.

Just keep him peeing on the edge of the woods and not in the yard.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 2:29 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• I make my boy pee inside when we are at home...but if we are in town and my kids really have to and there is no bathroom in the store, and him out of porta johns for my truck....I just open the truck door and tell them to pee there. It may be gross, but they are 4 and 5, and if they have to go, they have to go. I'm not going to take the chance of them peeing in the truck while I try to drive to a store the has rest rooms.
    GotToHaveFaith

Answer by GotToHaveFaith at 2:30 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• very redneck!
    Anonymous

• I am with you. I have three boys and they have been allowed to pee outside a handful of times, and that was in an emergency. I think it is GROSS! If there is a bathroom available, they should use it. I would discuss it with your dh and tell him that he needs to back you up. In a few years, he is going to be a teen and if he pees outside can be ticketed for pubic indecency. I would put a stop to it now!
    My husband does not pee outside for no random reason. I don't see why people have the "boys will be boys" attitude. Just because they are boys does NOT mean they should be allowed to be nasty. Sorry if that honks some of these ladies off, but is my opinion.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 2:49 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• I let my son pee outside if its an emergency and see nothing wrong with it. I told him as long as he is in the backyard where nobody can see him, then its ok. I have seen him go right out in the open where the neighbors can see though. lol. He's 4, so he's still learning, but yes, I have opened the door to the car and let him go outside and just covered him from sight. My DH pees outside too to where people can't see him. It's a guy thing and its not that big of deal. Redneck or not, it's not something to worry yourself over.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 2:51 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• My sons (who are 18-23 now) were not allowed to pee outside (unless there was no bathroom aroundd, like on a road trip) and I never settled for that stupid "boys will be boys" crap. They never saw their dad outside mowing the backyard where no one could see him & whipping it out to pee because he was too lazy to walk in the house. As a matter off fact, the only time my husband HAS done that is when he worked out in the oil field and they didn't have porta-johns around. If I would have ever caught one of my sons peeing outside (I raised 4 sons) they would have been grounded to the house so that they could stay close to a bathroom. I think it's just poor manners to encourage peeing outdoors just because they are a male. I also never allowed my sons to belch or fart on command and play games with that, either. Males in this house are expected to have manners.
    Anonymous

• We have 5 people - including 2 women, 1 fairly newly potty trained and 1 currently potty training - in a house with only 1 bathroom. DH will occassionally go outside into our side yard to pee if they bathroom is tied up. I've actually been envious of this at times when the 2 year old decides she wants to sit for awhile, or the teenager is in the shower. Where we live none of the neighbors can even see our house (large lots in the woods). I would have no problem with my son doing the same (he's 4 1/2 and sometimes has trouble making it). He (my son) has also peed on the side of the road once or twice when we were on a highway a long way from a rest stop.
    Anonymous