AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH! what do i say? how do i say it?

Today i caught my 2 sons (ages almost 6 and 4) touching eachothers penises! i told them that we don't touch other peoples private parts and try as i might, i couldn't hide the fact that i was freaking out. I want to talk more about it to them but what do i say? help!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:31 PM on Jan. 29, 2010 in General Parenting

• Sit them down separately and talk to each on their own level. To the 6 year old I would talk about not only that those parts are private and you understand his curiosity but he needs to ask questions and not explore with his brother. YOu will be happy answer any questions he has about his or other peoples private parts.
    the 4 year old I would talk about how those parts are private and no one not even his brother should touch them only a doctor can touch him there with mommy or Daddy there. Tell him that if any ever ask to touch his private parts he shuld run away as fast as he can and find an adult that he knows to tell. If you have not talked to your 6 year old about htis yet I wuold add that to his talk as well.
    Anonymous

• DONT freak out! My children are 4 and 1 almost 5 and 2. Boys! They bathe together and I have caught both of them touching each other's boy parts. They are little inquisitive minds just curious about the world around them. Nothing to be upset about or freak out over. Just tell them that is private and not something brothers should do to one another. They wont still be doing it when they go to HS trust me. It's normal and nothing to panic over.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 2:40 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• LMAO........thats boys for ya.

Anonymous

• Don't freak out. In their minds, it's no different than touching hands or patting on the back. It's just another body part and it's all innocent. Like the pp said, talk tot hem separate so you can do it on their level. The 6 year old will obviously understand more than the younger child.
    Anonymous

• The more you react the more they're going to do it... Kids will be kids, it's not the end of the world. You can have the touch talk, but I would be very careful to not make to big of a deal about it..
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 3:37 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• One day I my 2 and 4 yo boys were in the bath together. I stepped out to grab a towel and my son started laughing saying his brother was touching his penis. I stayed calm and told them not to touch each other's penises (is that a word?!) Like a pp said, I explained their penis is private. Now my 4 yo tell his little brother, "Don't touch my penis ok?"
    Anonymous

• It's just curiosity. Just tell them that you understand they are curious, but that it's not appropriate to touch other people's private parts.
    BaisMom

Answer by BaisMom at 5:51 PM on Jan. 29, 2010