What's an "apologist"?

I was reading a post in groups and it was talking about two apologists and I gathered that it had something to do with Christianity, but I'm not sure what, so I would like to know:

1) Is an apologist another demonination of Christianity?

2) If an apologist isn't another denomination, how is being an apologist related to Christianity?

I am not trying to be rude here....I'm honestly curious & want to understand.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:42 PM on Jan. 29, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• An apologetist isn't a denomination - there are Christian apologists, Jewish apologists, Muslim apologists, even secular apologists. And "apologist" is someone who defends a doctrine or ideology. So a Christian apologists defends Christian doctrin.
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 2:49 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• A religious apologist is anyone who advocates religion or defends religion from criticism" not necessarily Christian denomination.

Answer by older at 2:51 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• Thank you both! Now I understand, just hadn't ever heard the term before.
    Anonymous

• someone who makes apologies a lot. I'm sorry. I'm sorry. Lol J/k I always wondered what this term meant myself.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 5:17 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apologist
    SabrinaLC

Answer by SabrinaLC at 5:24 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• Because christianity and the bible that it supposedly follows so often contradict themselves, they have the need for people to apologise to questioners? LOL Actually, apologists make up "explanations" or interpretations for the numerous contradictions and errors in their book and their beliefs. For instance, when I ask how Noah's ark was able to hold two of every one of the 30 MILLION species of animals on the planet, they may claim that he only took the animals in HIS part of the world...even tho that theory is not stated in the bible at all. The job is to make excuses for the ineptitude of their deity!
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 12:04 PM on Feb. 1, 2010