Anyone have a Newfoundland dog?

I adore these dogs and think I might like to get a Newfie one of these days. What is your dog like?

What are the pro's and con's of this breed?

Thanks a bunch!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:59 PM on Jan. 29, 2010 in Pets

• I am a vet tech and have taken care of this breed. They are gentle giants and are very good with children. They do have some health concerns. they can suffer from agoraphobia and be fearful of things like grooming and the vet. They also do not live very long. Most giants live 8-10 years. They do love water and will rescue people if they need it or not. They require regular grooming and are expensive to feed. A good newfie can be over $1000 to buy. I always tell owners to attend breed dog shows and talk to breeders and handlers. Find out about the breed before you buy. Less chance they end up in a shelter or rescue. Best of luck in your search.

doll2660

Answer by doll2660 at 8:09 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• Oooh i researched them one day. They are very gentle giants. They are great family pets, non agressive. the cons would be the drool and the hair. But as I have 2 dogs, pet hair is an accesory in my house lol. They are also WATER dogs, they LOVE the water so if you are walking them where there are ponds or lakes around and you dont' want them wet, keep them leashed lol. But they are very loving dogs
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 3:02 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• My dad's friend had one of these dogs and she was WONDERFUL!!! With the exception of getting her hair clipped. She had to be "knocked out" for it. Good luck. They do get VERY LARGE!!!! Do not let your little ones sit on it "like a horse"!!!
    Starfire73

Answer by Starfire73 at 5:00 AM on Jan. 30, 2010

• I've been a sitter for many of them.

Get a Furminator. It's a shedding comb that will make everyone's life easier. Start brushing and grooming early. I'd find a groomer who will meet with you before the dog ever needs grooming.

They are fab animals and love kids. You can't put the puppy on the couch unless you want to give up your couch forever. They are just too big for the furniture. We are full up on dogs right now, but I would totally get one from a rescue in the future.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 12:33 PM on Jan. 30, 2010