How do you feel about toddlers (2-3-4)and horror movies?

My husband went on a Nightmare on Elm St. /Friday the 13th marathon and though my daughter has a playroom, she would come in occasionally and watch a bit of the movie. I am a pretty relaxed parent but I felt uncomfortable, but the hubby was not worried. I asked other moms, just not sure. I didn't watch till I was older and had nightmares, my friends that had watched from a young age, had no problems. They don't seem to bother her, not nightmares or anything, what do you all think? And no one I knew that watched them ares socially disturbed, dangerous, serial killers, or unadjusted adults.

melelaine

Asked by melelaine at 3:01 PM on Jan. 29, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• i prefer him not to watch it, but it depends on the child. i mean, i brought my toddler to see The Frog Princess and now he's scared of frogs lol. daddy, on the other hand says "aw he'll be ok!"
    Anonymous

• I think it is inappropriate content for young children
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 3:04 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• Our boys are 6 and 7 and I don't let them watch horror movies. I started letting our oldest when he was around 10, I was just very careful as to which movie it was.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 3:06 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• I got to watch them. Was fine, no nightmares. My son got to watch them. He is fine no issues. He had a friend that wasn'[t allowed for fear he might have problems, his mom saw my son with no probs and decided to let her son watch because she didn't want him like her...afraid of all scary movies.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:10 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• I loooove horror movies... but I don't let the kids watch them. Like you, it just makes me feel uncomfortable so I go with that feeling. I agree that it depends on the child. My son is like me and likes scary things... I think he would do fine with some relatively tame horror movies at age seven. My five year old, on the other hand, does NOT like to be scared and won't sit through some episodes of Scooby Doo because they're just too intense for her! I don't think that really young children are disturbed by tv content a lot of the time because there is no context for it... in that sense I would be less worried about a two year old catching a glimpse of a horror movie than some fearful ten year olds, because to the two year old it's just an image with no context and to the fearful ten year old they are going to understand in, let their imagination go wild, and be up all night. Kwim?
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 3:10 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• I don't like horror movies myself.

and I know my girls have nightmares and do get scared (oldest refused to use the bathroom for almost a week thanks to the 'bloody mary' mirror thing). I don't like them watching scary movies - if they ask I mightlet them watch a bit, but they have good minds and will let us know when its too scary.

2,3 4.....I don't think its appropriate.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 3:12 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• That being said, I know my kids have watched some content that others think is not appropriate... my three year old likes Jurassic Park, for instance. She likes the dinosaurs. The fact that they eat people doesn't bother her at all. However, the same child does not like some Disney G rated movies because they are upsetting for her. It really is individual to the child... whereas I don't want to blast my children with violent images, I think violent images are also 'in the eye of the beholder' and I find it really ironic that the 'scariest' thing my kids have ever reacted to was the mom getting eaten by the barracuda in Finding Nemo!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 3:13 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• The other thing I wonder, and I have to admit I am also writing a paper for college, nightmares? I mean I understand they can get bad and become the extreme night terrors, but I like horror movies now and occasionally I still have a nightmare, but does it harm me? I understand kids are different, but I had lots of nightmares when I was a kid, I hid under the blankets, jumped from my top bunk to the door, and always turned the lights on first, but I laugh at it now, I mean can we really keep our children from nightmares? And are (regular) nightmares (not long lasting- night terrors) really harmful? My parents would just say, its not real, go to bed.
    melelaine

Answer by melelaine at 3:19 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• i LOVE horror movies! but i perfer that my 4 yr old not watch them....
    LOVE_mygirls58

Answer by LOVE_mygirls58 at 3:19 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• My son never really had nightmares ever. Maybe once or twice in 13 years. It won't hurt them.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:24 PM on Jan. 29, 2010