My son's allergic to dairy and I'm affraid to give him soy due to all these effects on hormones...

but I know the other alternatives aren't as fattening...He's on a skinny side...what would you recommend?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:12 PM on Jan. 29, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I wouldn't worry about it. I was nanny for 2 babies who were allergic to dairy. They drank Westin Soy milk. The fortified kind. It had as much fat and calories as milk. To make sure he is getting enough calcium, give him calcium fortified OJ.
    AngelDawn7

Answer by AngelDawn7 at 3:18 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• Nut milks -- almond milk, for starters. Plenty of people can survive on a non dairy diet (dairy isn't good for people!!) without using soy as a supplement.
    elleinad

Answer by elleinad at 3:20 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• If soy was 'bad,' why do they make formula out of it?
    _Kitty_kat_

Answer by _Kitty_kat_ at 3:20 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• Have you tried Goat's milk? That is all my son could drink for a while being sensitive although not allergic to milk and unable to keep soy milk down. I did try chocolate hemp milk and rice milk, but the goat milk was the best and gave him the most calories etc. I bought it for a while in cartons and then realized it came in a powdered for that I could mix myself. It is meyenberg brand, contains 7 g fat per cup which is good calories for a skinny kid. It is fortified wtih Vitamin D and folic acid 2 things it is deficient in its regular form and it is organic, not treated with growth hormones. I loved this milk, you may have to mix it half and half with whatever he is used to as it does have a sort of taste if you're not used to it, I did this for a week or two and then he was fine with it straight. Good luck!
    oregonmom22

Answer by oregonmom22 at 3:20 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• Kitty Kat, that is the stupidest question I've read today (not of all time, so don't feel bad). Milk is bad for humans, but they make formula out of it too. Soy formula has enough hormones in that it is the same thing as feeding your infant birth control pills.
    Anonymous

• well...he's also allergic to nuts...I guess I'd be stuck with rice milk though...which isn't fatty at all...
    Anonymous

• There is good soy and there is bad soy. I have some research that I can forward to you, if you are interested. The WAP/Mercola people have some pretty groundless research, partly funded by the dairy industry.
    Honestly, if you eat conventionally raised meat, you are getting WAY more hormones and soy than you would get in a lifetime of organic soy milk.
    You can also try rice milk, almond milk, or water. There are lots of healthy ways to get fat into a child: avocado, tofu, nut butters, ground flax, flax oil, etc.

Answer by rkoloms at 3:25 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• and here is a great article on bone health:

http://www.pcrm.org/health/prevmed/building_bones.html

• New studies have raised questions over whether the ingredients in soy might increase the risk of breast cancer in some women, affect brain function in men and lead to hidden developmental abnormalities in infants.
    The core of their concerns rests with the chemical makeup of soy: in addition to all the nutrients and protein, soy contains a natural chemical that mimics estrogen, the female hormone. Some studies in animals show that this chemical can alter sexual development. And in fact, 2 glasses of soy milk/day, over the course of one month, contain enough of the chemical to change the timing of a woman’s menstrual cycle.

In a study of hamsters completed under Schneider's direction, it was recently found that a component of soy beans - isoflavones - significantly accelerated the onset of puberty in the rodents.
    KandiceN

Answer by KandiceN at 3:26 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• LMAO.
    So, how about the entire cultures that consume considerably large quantities of soy throughout life? Hmmm.... yeah stupid question. LOL.
    Studies found eggs to be bad, then good, then bad - Bottom line: anyone can find a 'study' that sides with them for ANYTHING.
    _Kitty_kat_

Answer by _Kitty_kat_ at 3:35 PM on Jan. 29, 2010