Do we have to go through an attorney?

Theres a woman that says my dh is the father to her oldest son. She refuses to get a dna test so we want to get one court ordered. We can't afford an attorney right now so is there any other way?

zackaroosmom

Asked by zackaroosmom at 3:14 PM on Jan. 29, 2010 in Relationships

• if he didn't sign the birth certificate then she shouldn't be able to get child support without getting a dna test. if signed it then yes you do have to get a court order for the child's dna.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 3:17 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• Is she doing anything other than making this claim, I mean; is she trying to get child support? If so, is she using an attorney herself? Was this conception prior to your marriage. There are a lot of things that will play into your need for an attorney. What state you live in can make a difference too.
    _Kitty_kat_

Answer by _Kitty_kat_ at 3:17 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• Call Legal Aid

Answer by admckenzie at 3:18 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• You can court order the test pro se (by yourself). Fill out the appropriate paperwork with the county clerk.
    Anonymous

• This is before me and my husband met. He isn't on the birth certificate. She occasionally asks for money but we tell her no. She doesn't try to get child support. She's always calling my dh telling him he's a pos because he isn't around. My dh has been trying for the past 5 yrs to get her to do a dna test to settle all of this.
    zackaroosmom

Answer by zackaroosmom at 3:28 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• I would just change your number
    PROGENITOR

Answer by PROGENITOR at 3:36 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• seriously if she isn't seeking CS then ignore her. she has the burden of proof.
    PROGENITOR

Answer by PROGENITOR at 3:37 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• don't pursue it if she doesn't....it will only make things worse for you guys.....don't go there. if she wants it done then she will get it done, and then you worry about it. until then, like i said before, change your number and keep it unlisted!
    PROGENITOR

Answer by PROGENITOR at 3:38 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• Well we have left it alone. My dh wants to see him if it is his son. If it is my dh's son, he doesn't want the boy thinking that he just didn't want to be a father to him.
    zackaroosmom

Answer by zackaroosmom at 4:09 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• Maury?
    BaisMom

Answer by BaisMom at 4:30 PM on Jan. 29, 2010