Do you allow your child to play with toys geared toward the opposite sex?

Why or why not?

Cafe Jenn

Asked by Cafe Jenn at 3:25 PM on Jan. 29, 2010 in General Parenting

• Yes they are just toys. If they like it why not. It is not hurting them at all.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 3:26 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• sure... only we define what toys are gender specific
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 3:27 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• a toy is a toy - I don't care what my girls play with as long as they do in a polite and respectful manner - that goes for everything they play with.

hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 3:29 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• I have a boy and a girl 16 months apart and they both play with each others toys. My son plays with the barbies and my daugher plays with rescue heroes. I guess I'm not concerned as he doesn't prefer girl toys over boys toys usually. Plus his sister is usually too possessive to let him play with her toys very long. I don't rescue my son from girl toys, but I wouldn't give him nail polish or a barbie of his own. He does have several babies, but I think that is normal don't guys have to learn how to take care of babies too?
    Anonymous

• yes i do. my son has a kitchen set/ pots and pans but in our house, Dad cooks and I fix things that break so.,. that's pretty normal for us too - he has dolls and drills.. we just want him to be happy.. I agree we are the ones that define that ! I am guilty of it.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 3:30 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• Yes. My youngest son has 3 baby dolls. They are just toys and I think it's cute when he walks around the house saying, "I want to be a Daddy like Daddy."
    Juggalette0327

Answer by Juggalette0327 at 3:30 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• Yep, I don't care what they play with as long as they play nice... When we go over to our friends, they have 3 girls and they love to dress up our 7 yr old son,lol... He just plays along, and has a blast getting all that attention from the girls,lol... Now I just have to get a picture of him, he's just to fast when I come around the corner with the camera,lol.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 3:35 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• i've bought my son little pet shops pets...he likes the little animals with the beds and cages. they should make little stuff like that for boys too.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 3:36 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• Yes, but I maybe I should be rethinking that. The other day in Target my 3 yo DS was looking at a Barbie at the checkstand, the first thing he did....look up its skirt! It was hilarious!
    _Kitty_kat_

Answer by _Kitty_kat_ at 3:39 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• Yep, my boys have all played with dolls and "girly" toys. They've all wanted at one time or another to have their nails painted when I've been doing mine, and I've done them. I do usually try to stick with a more neutral shade, but it's hard not to laugh when they show their dad their pretty pink nails! It's not like having a dolly or painted nails will "turn" them gay or make them want to be girls, it's just a toy. My 4 yo niece loves to play with the trucks and other boy toys at my house. I love seeing the mix and matches they come up with. Barbie driving the big dump truck or my filthy son dirty from digging in the dirt with pink nails.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 3:39 PM on Jan. 29, 2010