Background checks: does your child's school require them for you to volunteer or visit?

Cafe Jenn

Asked by Cafe Jenn at 3:38 PM on Jan. 29, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• ours does to volunteer.

hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 3:40 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• Yep..
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 3:40 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• Not to visit, but the whole division requires them for parent volunteers. The local police do them free for volunteers. I like it, but I do feel it gives a bit of a false sense of security. A woman I used to work with told me about a volunteer who was caught with his hand down the back of a kids pants. He was a firefighter and I bet he'd passed a criminal record check.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 3:42 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• For volunteers, yes. For visits, no - but I wish they did.
    There are some crazies out there - shoot, I wish they'd do psych evaluations on some people.
    _Kitty_kat_

Answer by _Kitty_kat_ at 3:51 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• If you're going to be in the classroom or on field trips yes.
    heatheryn

Answer by heatheryn at 4:35 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• No they don't. We live in a very small town and everyone knows each other and if they have a criminal record. I went to highschool with every single parent in my sons class. I am sure if the school asked we all would submit for one but it isn't needed here.
    Anonymous

• My kids schools has levels of clearance depending on what type/how close the involvement is between the parent and the kids. One on one tutoring - yes background check; reading to the class - no background check.

Answer by missanc at 7:53 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• Only for anyone volunteering in the schools. The background check has to be redone every 4 years. I have one done for work and school every year and I still had to have one ran by the school district (I even had a copy of my last background check that was a few weeks old.)

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:56 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• http://schoolvolunteerbackgroundcheck.blogspot.com

This answer is for anonymous who said that she lives in a small town and it is not needed. Liberal, Kansas is a small town as well and I respectfully disagree with the stance that background checks for volunteers are not needed. The website below shows how one school volunteer who was prosecuted for crimes against children simply moved 100 miles north to Liberal Kansas. Notwithstanding a formal background check, a phone call would have prevented what happened. The guy was a school volunteer in Liberal Kansas before he was prosecuted for crimes against children a second time in 2005. In 2005, the school and community defended him in the face of his acts against children in 1989. The websitehas criminal trial transcripts with some troubling testimony from school officials and community members.

Liberal schools still does not have a clear policy on volunteers.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:35 AM on Jan. 30, 2010

• for fieldtrips or volunteering in the school yes
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 7:28 AM on Feb. 2, 2010