Religious Prophecy

Are religious prophecies real in your opinion? And how do you know if they ever really come true? I mean, if a prophecy is vague enough and no time period is given eventually it can be matched with something... Does that mean it was an actual prophecy, just because it COULD have come true?

I was just watching the History's Mysteries about Fatima. And it was said that there are still disagreements among church officials over the last "secret of Fatima" and what it means. Some say it came true already, others say no it hasn't, and others still feel the entire Fatima "prophecy" was nothing more than children in need of attention.

That got me to thinking, I have yet to hear a prophecy, religious or not, that said This guy and this time is going to do this... They are alway vague and mis-translatable, and if enough time passes can all be matched to something, even if that's not what they meant at all...

Thoughts??

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 3:38 PM on Jan. 29, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• i like how in the bible it says that Babylon will never be inhabited again and til this day it's not inhabited. Hussein started to rebuild it but war broke out and he couldnt complete it. Then when the americans were there, they even set up a helipad there and the structures started to crumble and they had to evacuate.
    Anonymous

• I don't know. Prophecy is so vague it can apply to anything. I think people take events and try to make it fit in to prophecy. If you have to debate about whether or not it happened, that's a big red flag that the prophecy is probably fake.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 5:12 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• Not at all.
    sugahmamma

Answer by sugahmamma at 6:17 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• Do I believe in prophecy? Yes. But that doesn't mean that the most famous prophecies are true. I agree when they become vague then they can be matched to pretty much anything. Nostradamus for instance. I love watching the History channel on him, but I don't really believe that his prophecies will help us. The bad thing is, prophecies only ring true after the fact. Therefore, its a waste of time. Its only a mild curiosity unless its specific.

SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 6:19 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• here's a thought, concerning 'visions' (a form of prophesy, right?)..last sunday, a lady in the congregation wanted to share something she 'saw' as she prayed during the service. she says, as well as i can remember her words, ''a man, wearing a pin-striped suit, well-dressed man, lots of respect if given to you. you do things in secret that you try to hide from your family, your boss, your church, and even your God. you're in the shadow, and you need to come out and let healing begin! fall on your knees, brother! come back to God and be forgiven, and healed. '' ok, i'm a doubter...but something in her voice was so pointed, so centralized to this body of believers..anyhoo, wednesday night, (3 days later), five individual men were arrested for sexual solicitation in one of our city parks. one of them 'just happened?" to be the minister of music at that church. coincidence, or prophesy??
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 6:21 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• Are there religious prophesies out there that are true? - yes.

Do some of these true prophesies get mislabeled or attached to wrong things? - yes.

Is every single prophecy by every single person ever is true? - No.

I think the best way for us to know the truth of a prophecy (and the correct labeling with it) would be only by the inspiration of the Holy spirit as opposed to our best educated guesses.
    Anonymous

• I believe in the prophecies made in the bible, and they have come true or have yet to (ie jesus did come, and the world will end eventually). but there is nothing that states specifics, just that it WILL happen and we will know when it does. I do not believe in modern day prophesies, nothing after Jesus and the deciples (sp).
    missbreezy214

Answer by missbreezy214 at 5:06 PM on Jan. 30, 2010