Euthenasia

Do you as a Christian believe it's ok to put down your animal? I mean if they are old and sick or too injured.

I'm no Angel

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:41 PM on Jan. 29, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I'm not Christian, but I do believe that when an animal is in pain or sick, a quick and relatively painless death a blessing over the torture of living that way. I also support assisted suicide for the elderly and those with debilitating illnesses. I see it as an honor to die quickly, without having to suffer through your last moment.

My Mother - a strict Christian - has always agreed with me on that. It's one of the few things we agree on.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 3:49 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• Yes, its very difficult but this has happened. We foster a lot of kittens through the Human Society but there have been a few that were really sick and they were put down my the Human Society. It just as hard to see all the animals waiting for homes at the shelter, I can't image being an older cat in a 2 x 3 cage and waiting until someone adopted me, they could wait years or more likely die waiting. They can't be kept like that.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 3:59 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• Absolutely, if you are relieving suffering. See, where this gets sticky is in confusing human beings with animals. This lack of clarity has increased lately, possibly as a result of the overwhelming influence of the anti-God attitude that people are merely higher animals ... no soul, no spirit, no afterlife, no meaning to life.

Truly merciful euthanasia is allright for an animal, but NOT for a person - because a person has an eternal spirit which has come to earth to learn lessons, to be a benison for others in their lives, and to grow in strength and grace and skill. Only God can decide when this is finished, we cannot cut it short.

I do not value life above all else - extreme measures far beyond what is reasonable solely for the sake of keeping the physical body breathing - precisely because I DO believe in the afterlife. But I do revere divine guidance.
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 4:03 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• "This lack of clarity has increased lately, possibly as a result of the overwhelming influence of the anti-God attitude that people are merely higher animals ... no soul, no spirit, no afterlife, no meaning to life."

This sounded like you were trying to pin this idea on athests. Am I misreading this?! Because a lot of people I know who happen to NOT believe in god most certainly believe in souls, spirits and meaning to life.
    "
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 4:18 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• hi op, I'm a Christian. God loves someone who does an intense hard act of love that is selfless to that person. If medicine no longer takes away unbearable pain and incontinence and eating, lifting the head for a beloved animal is painful and can not be relieved or if a pet's eating has stopped and weight is lost because of that - any all of that as aging can mean it's time to euthanize.

If your lack of being an angel is related more to you rather than you and your care of your pet God will guide you to rest to become better, just pray for that and focus.

If your lack of being an angel is more that you've mistreated your animal and its' hurt, neglected God will love you if you talk to a vet about better care and what happened. Better care can be arthritis medicines, antibiotics, it can be euthanasia when medicine's been tried and a loved pet can't lift its head or potty outside anymore or is losing weight fromage illness.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 5:08 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• op I meant to add I've had to decide to euthanize 3 pets that were old. If you're anxious about your past with them or your past in life generally if the vet agrees its time to euthanize being with a pet is a release of fears and a learning a feeling of God as He guides our pets into Heaven. We know there's a God when there's doubt when God or fate places us with a life when its time for death.

Talk in depth to your vet. That's what they're there for. God love you, someone for deeds done to ease suffering of any kind in any life.

pm me if you want to.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 5:12 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• Getting an animal euthanized is sometimes the only way. If they are sick, would you rather they have a painful death, or go out peacefully? Sometimes euthanasia is the only way to help a suffering animal. It's not evil or bad even by Christian standards.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 5:15 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• Growing up on a cattle ranch, I have no problem with putting an animal down who is suffering. It's a sad thing to do but sometimes it must be done.

As to human euthanasia, well, I don't think we should kill people just for being old or disabled. However, having see the effects of diseases like bone cancer, where there comes a time where no medication can stop the pain, I don't believe people should be forced to suffer either. If I were to ever get to that point, I would like to have the option of ending my own life painlessly. It would be like the opposite of people planning births, ya know? I would like to know when so that I could have my family with me and it would be peaceful.

I know I'm going to get blasted for being pro-assisted suicide but I still stand by my belief.
    paganmom05

Answer by paganmom05 at 5:17 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• We have had to put down several animals since I was a child. In each case, their suffering would have been much greater if they had lingered and died slowly. We are called to care for animals(we have dominion over them according to Genesis, so we must maintain them), and relieving the pain and suffering of an animal in our care is part of that. It happens in nature, rats will actually kill a member of their family if it is extrememly ill or injured. It is no different if we do it quickly at the vet.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 5:24 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• I am a Christian, and I believe in putting animals out of their misery in a humane way, yes. I'm also in favor of doctor assisted suicide, meaning that I believe terminal patients with no hope of recovery and who are in absolute pain or misery should be able to have a doctor end their suffering if they so choose. I can't understand how we are willing to be more humane towards our animals than we are towards our family members... That was kind of beside the point though, wasn't it?
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 5:28 PM on Jan. 29, 2010