what would you tell your 6 yr old son if he told you he thought a boy in his class was pretty?

What do you do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:56 PM on Jan. 29, 2010 in General Parenting

• At six years old I wouldn't be worried at all. He's probably just noticing how nice the boy looks that's all. Moms use the word pretty alot to describe tons of things in life and so do teachers and store clerks and everyone. Its probably one of the most often used words in the vocabulary. We never say Its such a Handsome Day!!!!!

Just tell ds that the grownup word to say a boy or man looks nice is to say that person is Handsome.

That's all. Your son sounds very very sweet and nice.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 4:11 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• nothing
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 3:57 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• You say, boys are not pretty they are handsome.

Answer by older at 3:57 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• Tell him that boys are handsome.Kids can have same sex crushes and not be gay,if that's your concern.
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 3:58 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• Yeah, I'd expand his vocab with 'Handsome.' And probably giggle to myself. It is probably just his way of saying he likes how he looks, or dresses, or does his hair.
    _Kitty_kat_

Answer by _Kitty_kat_ at 4:03 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• I would tell him that usually boys are considered handsome and girls are pretty, just to teach him that...
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 4:06 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• I'd giggle and tell him boys aren't pretty, they're handsome. I'm guessing you're worried about your son saying a boy is pretty. If that's your concern, think about this. I'm guessing you're female and have said girls are pretty. Same thing.
    GothicMommy3

Answer by GothicMommy3 at 4:07 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• I would do nothing. It is perfectly natural for children to acknowledge those which are attractive- same sex or not. we do the same as adults. WHY would that even concern you?
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 4:08 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• would say Boys are not pretty they are hansome.
    Why? Are you trying to make the assumption that a boy at the age of 6 is having a show of homosexuality?
    If that was all he said I would not assume it!
    When I was in K-2nd grade there was a beautiful liitle girl in my class(es) all three years. I knew she was pretty and prettier than me or any of the other girls,her hair was always perfect she always did as the teachers asked. I was VERY jealous!!! Kids arent stupid!
    Anonymous

• He's only six- maybe he doesn't really know the word handsome yet. He may have just thought he looked nice and wanted to look that way too. We don't thin anything about it when girls say that about other girls- at least most don't.
    I know men who are tall, busting with muscles and VERY much into women- but when we were kids they would say things like that or in fact like to dress up in my play clothes and have tea parties! Mostly they thought it was funny...........
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 4:18 PM on Jan. 29, 2010