How involved do you get with fundraisers?

Cafe Jenn

Asked by Cafe Jenn at 4:29 PM on Jan. 29, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Depends on what they are for. I'm very involved with fundraising for my daughter to go to diabetes camp. I have participated in a lot of others to varying degrees.
    heatheryn

Answer by heatheryn at 4:34 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• At schools or scouts or just in general. At schools I actively particpate in thew campbells labels, Capri sun recycling, and Box Tops for education. I don't buy items just because they have those on them. If in the course of my shopping I have them I send them in. Our elementary school alone Earned $3000 last year just by collecting box tops. Other fund raisers at school I get pretty irritated about. Sometimes they are good products at a good price...many times they are not. PLUS..they have an assembly hype the kids up with the great prize they can win and it is really unreasonable to reach. Scouting isn't something we've chosen to do again for personal reasons. Community fund raisers.. we always go to the Firemans breakfast, give to the food pantry drive, sell raffle tickets for movie in the park nights in the summer. We also have thre groups we donate actively to.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 5:08 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• I send a 200 dollar check. I cook from scratch so we rarely get box tops. I don't want my son peddling expensive crap where the school gets pennies on the dollar for the items. I send 200 bucks more than my child would raise bringing in box tops or selling things. We also have our Target Red Card registered for the school. It isn't a store credit card but a card attached to my bank account 5 percent of my purchase goes to my sons school. I have no clue why more schools don't encourage parents to do this. We have rewards from the card and I get a 10 percent discount card every money got a 20 percent off one right before Christmas.

My family on Saturdays is up early and we go to the women's shelter to prepare breakfast. My husband and a few men from our church will repair the cars for the women and teach them car maintenance they also do repair work on the house. My kids and I help prepare meals and with cleaning.
    Anonymous

• Depends on what they are for. I have been heavily involved in fundraisers at my church to raise money for youth camp. My daughter's school is trying to raise money for a climbing wall to go in the current school. But within a few years, the new school will be built, so I will not help out at all in this fundraiser. If they were raising money to put the climbing wall in the new school, I would be happy to help out at the fundraiser dinner and donate money.
    Anonymous