Is being A SAHM a career?

I've seen people calling it their job or calling themselves "displaced home makers"

So would you consider it a job?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:41 PM on Jan. 29, 2010 in Just for Fun

• It is a job, a voluntary job with no pay but still a job.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 4:43 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• I don't consider it a job. It's called being a mother. Some chose to stay home and some chose to work, its all the same.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 4:43 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• no. like army wife said is being a mother. i sahm for now but by july am hoping to go back to work. i cant picture myself being sahm forever, 3 yrs was long enough for me
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 4:45 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• Its a no pay career/job.

I think it really depends on who you are talking to. Some may feel it is and others will say no way.

Personally, I dont call it either if I can help it. If I have to I call it a job because its work.

To me, its part of who I am.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 4:47 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• I think SAHM is a job-- as they are busy doing many things- taking care of the kids, working around the house, doing laundry, doing dishes, running errands...... it is not like a SAHM sleeps in till noon, sits on the sofa all day watching soaps, eating bonbons and not doing anything.
    Anonymous

• It's a job, yes and damn fulltime hectic one, but consider it a "career" no. Because I associate "careers" with a job you can stay in for LIFE that makes money ;) You're still investing though in your childrens lives. My mother was a SAHM her entire life (well now that we're all grown she works at a pregnancy center) for all 6 of us kids and homeschooled us all. She also cooked (homemade bread, pies, everything noodles etc) all three meals and cleaned etc. I don't mean like one of those "sloppy" looking households either. I mean clean and good cooking. So after watching her do that AND homeschooling us all I can't look down on someone who considers themselves a SAHM as I saw it done the right way. Now, these "SAHM" who never have clean clothes sitting in their childrens drawers, who are feeding their children microwave meals and junk food, who stay at home all day lounging around while watching TV?! NOT SAHMs!
    Anonymous

• Domestic godess is what I call myself. No income, but I love being in my throne.
    Amberoz

Answer by Amberoz at 4:50 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• caâ‹…reer /kəˈrɪər/ –noun
    1. an occupation or profession, esp. one requiring special training, followed as one's lifework: He sought a career as a lawyer.
    2. a person's progress or general course of action through life or through a phase of life, as in some profession or undertaking: His career as a soldier ended with the armistice.
    3. success in a profession, occupation, etc.
    4. a course, esp. a swift one.
    5. speed, esp. full speed: The horse stumbled in full career.
    6. Archaic. a charge at full speed.

I'd consider it a career. I doubt any job recruiters would, though.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:06 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• No
    lapcounter

Answer by lapcounter at 5:06 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• Its a lot of work but I don't consider it a job or a career.
    Mel_in_PHX

Answer by Mel_in_PHX at 5:20 PM on Jan. 29, 2010