Would You Love Your Child Any Less...

If he/she were gay?

Would you, if they exhibited behaviors that were not gender associated, or showed interest in the same sex at a young age, try to "Correct" them?

Do you feel it is your responsibility to protect them from something that is "Unnatural", and help guide them down the more socially acceptable path of hetero normality?

Do you feel that you have a right, as their parent, to intervene in their personal relationships, if they are otherwise normal and healthy?

ObbyDobbie

Asked by ObbyDobbie at 4:49 PM on Jan. 29, 2010 in General Parenting

• I just read the question you're referring to, and was about to post some scathing response, but I think you pretty much said everything I wanted to say anyway...

If my son turned out to be gay, I would do absolutely NOTHING to "correct" him, because there's nothing to be corrected. He is who he is, and whatever sexuality he was born with can't be changed by me, or anybody else.

However, anybody who thinks their 6 year old son might be gay because he called another boy "pretty" obviously has some issues...
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 4:52 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• if he turned out to be gay as an adult..there is nothing you could do about it and of course i would love him. If i thought i saw some kind of signs as a child of course i would try to lead him towards women
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 4:55 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• Shay~ Just curious... Why? (I am absolutely NOT trying to start an argument, but am curious to understand this mindset)
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 4:57 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• "I just read the question you're referring to, and was about to post some scathing response, but I think you pretty much said everything I wanted to say anyway...

However, anybody who thinks their 6 year old son might be gay because he called another boy "pretty" obviously has some issues..."

totally agree :)
    wahm_abbeyrose

Answer by wahm_abbeyrose at 4:57 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• Nope, I would not love my children any less, nor would I seek to 'correct' them in some way (which I don't think is possible anyhow.) Whoever they love is fine by me, provided they treat them with love and respect.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 4:58 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• I love my children unconditionally. There is nothing they could do to make me love them any less. With that being said, I would definately allow them to be however they want to be. I have never discouraged my sons from playing make-up with me, wearing my clothes, or trying on my shoes. My son went through a period where he liked to wear my swimsuit top. My sons actually seem to identify "boy" stuff most of the time, but I have never tried to make them into something just because its manly or the "boy" thing to do.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 5:02 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• Heck, I didn't see ANY sexual behaviors in my kids at a young age - I would have felt that I had really let them down if they had been exposed to models of sexual behavior to imitate.

I felt it was my responsibility to protect them from unnaturally early confrontation with sexual imagery or lust - right along with viciousness, or horrific events in history, or any of a number of impressions which would darken their sense of the world as a place of uncomplicated goodness.

The only caveat I would have about a gay lifestyle is the same caveat I had about being straight - don't be promiscuous; don't use others to gratify your lust. The beauty or destructiveness of sexual behavior is very susceptible to what is in your heart.
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 5:02 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• i've been round and round with yall about this many times and i have my reasons. Lets not get into it tonight.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 5:03 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• i really don't even know what you mean...what signs of "gayness" would a kid show...and how does a 6 yr old have a sexual preference?
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 5:05 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• I have no problem with it..My child can be who they want to be..Its weird though my hubby said he would not care if his daughters were gay but he said if we had a son who was gay that would bother him.I don't feel that way but he does..I do believe people are born that way and there is no way to change someone or make them be attracted to the other sex..I had a neighbor next door and even as a young child we were like , He is so gay, well turns out he is..

Anonymous