Babies & TV?

My healthy families caseworker just recently told me that any child under the age of 2 isn't supposed to watch TV. Well, up until she told me that I had been letting my 3 month old watch it, actually unless I turn it off it's kind of hard to stop him, he LOVES the movement, even when I'm holding him he turns his head and watches the TV. I get why it could be bad for kids a little older, but is it really something I should be concerned about for a 3 month old?

wahm_abbeyrose

Asked by wahm_abbeyrose at 4:53 PM on Jan. 29, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Honestly I think its stupid how they say children under the age of 2 shouldn't want TV. My DD has learned soooooooooooooooo many new words from her shows. She can even say some Chinese words and Spanish words. Now I can understand if a parent sits their child in front of the TV all day and doesn't play with them or interact with them, that could be bad for the child.
    ABPeterson

Answer by ABPeterson at 4:56 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• I have a 6 month old and I will set him in his bouncy chair in front of the tv so I can get something done real quick. I don't leave him there all day long or anything. He doesn't really pay much attention to it. He may watch it for a couple minutes but then he looks away and is paying attention to other things or playing with his toys. I have noticed though that he pays more attention to Dora the Explorer than any other show that's on. I didn't see what the big deal was. Now I can understand the concern if you just set your kid in front of the tv and leave them there all day.
    Anonymous

• the only time he watches it is when it is time for a nap, he sits in his bouncy seat and watches it for around 10 minutes then falls asleep. other than that he watches it while i'm holding him, feeding him, etc. which i can't stop anyway, unless i psychically turned his head away from it and i would never do that. but she acted like it was "bad", and said it could cause speech problems. but thanks for the input, glad to see i'm not the only one who thinks a little bit of tv is okay :)
    wahm_abbeyrose

Answer by wahm_abbeyrose at 5:01 PM on Jan. 29, 2010