lullabies

Do you sing to your baby what is there favorite lullabies

sashasmom159

Asked by sashasmom159 at 5:04 PM on Jan. 29, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• ugh, i try and try, but my son isn't enticed by any lullabies,
    bought a cd and everything, he could care less :P

he does however seem to like the song "where the river flows" by collective soul.

it's the only song so far he has seemed to have interest it.
    wahm_abbeyrose

Answer by wahm_abbeyrose at 5:08 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• my dd likes stay awake from mary poppins
    sashasmom159

Answer by sashasmom159 at 5:10 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• yes - mostly sesame street songs, especially loves "I Don't Want to Live on the Moon". He also Sweet Baby James by Eric Clapton and Row Your Boat. Pretty eclectic mix lol

Answer by missanc at 5:21 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• Singing to your baby, letting him or her hear your voice in music and forming words, is VERY wonderful !!

It is actually makes a big difference whether it is your live voice or an electronically-reproduced noise.
    My favorite lullabies when my children were little were some of the Hebridean lullabies. The pentatonic ones best helped them drift off - melodies with more "pizzazz" in them are obviously going to ping them awake rather than lull them to sleep.

Link to one of my favorites: http://www.guitarnoise.com/lesson/the-christ-childs-lullaby/

words: Ha-a le-e lu-i-a, halleluia, halleluia, ha-le-lu-i-a. (repeat betwee each verse)

My joy, my love, my dar-ling thou. My trea-sure new, my rap-ture thou, my come-ly beau-teous babe-son (baby) thou, un-wor-thy I to tend to thee.

Oh, dear the eye that soft-ly looks, dear the heart that fondly loves, tho' but a ten-der babe ye be, the graces all grow up with thee !
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 5:30 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• Recently, we have had two grand-babies a year apart, so I've had occasion to use lullabies again. The lullabies had to be particularly effective this time, because I didn't have the secret weapon of being their familiar mama or able to nurse them to sleep. To my surprise, this lullaby worked EVERY time ! (Of course, I was walking them with a swaying motion, too, but other lullabies didn't send them straight off to sleep like this old favorite did ... I remember singing this one endlessly to my infant daughter)
    The Islay Reaper's Song
    http://www.stmatthewsguild.org/Scotsong.htm#Islay
    I found this brief clip for you to hear the melody:
    http://music.barnesandnoble.com/search/mediaplayer.asp?ean=034571152042&disc=1&track=18
    Best wishes for many lovely hours of communing with your little ones !
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 5:45 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• For both my girls I made up a song for them that incorporated their names and hair and eye color..My first daughter also loved a bear she had that played a Beethoven melody..

kjfamily

Answer by kjfamily at 6:47 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• Me singing...she loves anything that comes out of my mouth no matter how bad. She even has a few songs I have made for her. I do not sing well but she does not seem to care at all.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 9:14 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• My son is now 4 and I am still singing to him and with him. I love lullabies! I wrote one for my son called "Child of Sunshine" and you can see the video on our Lullaby website http://www.lullabylink.com

On Lullaby Link you can also find the lyrics and melodies to over 45 songs along with great ideas on how to use music to bond with your baby through preschooler.

Just sing anything that you love! Your child will love your voice and it will teach them that music comes from people not the CD player or the tv box.
    ARobbinsWilson

Answer by ARobbinsWilson at 12:25 PM on Feb. 3, 2010