Can I adopt my friend's baby if we're both the same age?

My friend might be pregnant and she says she isn't ready for a baby. Now, I'll admit, I'm not either, but I will not allow her to have an abortion because she's scared of her mom! We're both sixteen and I'm moving at the end of the semester. I'm ready to gladly adopt her baby, I just need to know if I legally can.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:08 PM on Jan. 29, 2010 in Adoption

• Since you're underage, no... you can't.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 5:08 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• anouck is right.
    wahm_abbeyrose

Answer by wahm_abbeyrose at 5:09 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• I think you'd need to be legally an adult yourself before you can legally adopt another minor.
    Anonymous

• BWAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
    *wipes eyes*
    Funniest thing I've read all day.
    Anonymous

• She needs to give her baby up for adoption. Abortion is not the answer.
    Anonymous

• There are a lot of couples who are old enough to adopt out there who would make wonderful loving parents and they are just waiting to adopt a baby like your friend's baby.
    Anonymous

• Even if you were an emancipated minor a judge would only allow you to adopt if there were absolutely no other options. That clearly is not the case here. Who are you to 'allow" or not allow someone else to do something with their body? Be her friend and support HER decisions or back off.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 5:27 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• "There are a lot of couples who are old enough to adopt out there who would make wonderful loving parents and they are just waiting to adopt a baby like your friend's baby."

also, i agree with this, HOWEVER.
    if SHE wants to have an abortion, that isn't your business. it's her life, and her body. but if SHE wants to put the child up for adoption there are many many couples who could give it a loving, wonderful home.
    wahm_abbeyrose

Answer by wahm_abbeyrose at 5:28 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• Honestly, I wish I had a friend like this 16 yo when I was little. Girls need to realize the results of pregnancy and realize how scary a situation like abortion can be and how bad it is for your body. I am personally pro-choice, but I could never have an abortion.
    Anonymous

• The baby's body is not HER body. Different human, different finger prnts, different DNA.
    Anonymous