a one upper?

i have a friend who is a one upper.she thinks she is better than me.it is beginning to bother me.it is clear that she only hangs with the upper crowd.i think she is going to block me out pretty soon.i want to stay friends and dont know what the deal is?we are of the same income and everything else.one of my friends said act like your better than her and see how she likes that?i never thought of that theory.i know i wont get many replies cause i never do.and i dont really consider myself as scum of the earth....any advice?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:10 PM on Jan. 29, 2010 in Relationships

• Who cares, why would you want to hang with someone that thinks she is better than you anyway?

Let her go with her new friends and find a better one for you.

Tummysmomma

Answer by Tummysmomma at 5:19 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• well your so called friend sounds to me like a snob. i wouldnt be friends with someone that acted better than me. then after she realizes when your not around and all her Upper friends dont have the same relationship as you do with her. she'll come back
    bmdred

Answer by bmdred at 5:20 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• Why do you want to hang on to her? You sound better than that!
    whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 5:29 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• I can't deal with attitude at all..I had a gf who acted that way...she thought she was above me for some reason when we went to pick up her makeup at a department store...she didn't know I used Chanel, which is btw way more expensive than the Clinique she was buying that made her feel so high & mighty ***eyes rolling*** I don't talk about the makeup I buy because frankly, it's embarrasing, I feel stupid for spending an arm and a leg on it, but it seems to be the only kind that works for me and doesn't look cakey...but anyHOO..that shopping trip was the last time I saw her...can't stand people like that ***gag***
    Anonymous

• Sounds like high school.
    Anonymous

• Hasn't anyone ever told you that people who act like her really are insecure and their behavior is all just a big cover-up? You just need to smile and show her how a secure, mature woman acts and believe that she can learn from you. You be the teacher instead of the student, and you don't have to be hateful or arrogant about it. You just smile at her antics, knowing that she feels like Silly Putty on the inside, because that is exactly how she feels.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 6:31 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• if she dont like you for you then thats not a friend why change your self and be something your not just for her to stay your friend its not wroth it im sorry

friends come and go i lost alot of friends when i had to take care of my god-son when i raise him by myself as a teen and then when i got married i lost more but the ones that stayed by me are my true friends i didnt have to be something im not

im not trying to be mean just how i look at it and the way you Q sounds
    neonangel2188

Answer by neonangel2188 at 6:36 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• Just leave her alone. If you feel bad around her then that should be a sign that maybe it's best to let her let you go. Or you can take that step. If she doesn't think you're good enough then let her keep thinking that and move on. I wouldn't want to be friends with someone who constantly tried to one up me.

SylviaNCali

Answer by SylviaNCali at 6:56 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• I do think you should focus on other friendships with people who like you for who you are! This person is not a friend! I know it is easier said than done....but still, it is what you should do. No need to fight with her or to defend yourself. Just focus on other people who you enjoy and let the relationship fade away.
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 7:07 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• It's simple.... This is not a friend... Why would you work this hard to keep her as one.... This girl is very insecure, curious how the other side lives, not to mentiona phony.... You seem pretty normal to me... Ignore her, & move on... You can always make more friends..... I went through this too. From then, on, I did the choosing... Been much happier since... Take Care, Donna....
    dobrd

Answer by dobrd at 7:09 PM on Jan. 29, 2010