What does it mean to be "very pro-choice"

I notice that in a lot of abortion debates someone will almost invariably describe his or herself as "very pro-choice". What exactly does that mean? Everyone who is pro-choice is in favor of abortion remaining legal. Are there really pro-choice people who are only "kind of" pro-choice?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:26 PM on Jan. 29, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• To mean very pro-choice people mean that they support the decision to have an abortion in any case. Some people are pro=choice but believe it should only be in certain cases like rape, incest or saving the mother's life.
    heatheryn

Answer by heatheryn at 5:28 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• People who only believe in abortion for rape, incest or mother's life are pro-life.
    Anonymous

• Most of the abortions done are done so for birth control reasons. Only about 2% fall in the above categories. I am pro-life and only think its ok in the case that the mother's life is in danger and baby wouldn't survive anyway. Being very pro-choice is someone who thinks abortion is just fine and also means to controlling the population.
    Anonymous

• Beg to differ, anon :30. They might want to tell themselves that, but if they believe abortion is an option under ANY circumstance, they're pro-choice. Pro-lifers want to make abortion illegal, period.

Personally, I consider myself "very pro-choice", but in MY mind, that means I feel very strongly about it, and am willing to get personally involved to make sure this choice will not get taken away from women.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 5:34 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• I am not even going to bother correcting anon :34.... Except to once again reiterate that being pro-choice is NOT synonymous with being pro-abortion. NOBODY is pro-abortion.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 5:36 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• Pro-choice means we believe in keeping the government out of our uterus. It's not up the government to decide who can and can't have children. Pro-life people fail to see how a law governing rights on abortion would affect ALL reproductive rights. If you want the government to control your reproductive rights, go live in China and or Russia.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 5:38 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• pro-choice = pro-abortion. Anyone who says that they are both pro-life and pro-choice are liers. That is the same as saying, "I would never kill my child, but I'm not going to tell another mother that she can't."
    Anonymous

• Personally, I consider myself "very pro-choice", but in MY mind, that means I feel very strongly about it, and am willing to get personally involved to make sure this choice will not get taken away from women.

I 100% agree. I think it refers to the degree of passion.
    Pro-choice does not mean pro-abortion. It means CHOICE. The choice that people focus most on though happens to be abortion.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 5:50 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

I'm not sure where you're getting this idea from, but there is a range of opinion on the pro-life side, just as there is on the pro-choice side. MANY pro-lifers believe in exceptions under extreme circumstances. To the OP, when people say they are very pro-choice it probably means that they don't have a moral problem with abortion. Some people do have a moral problem with abortion and wouldn't undergo it themselves, but don't feel the government should limit the choice.
    Anonymous

• legalmommy and anouck, I beg to differ, plenty of people are pro-abortion. Margaret Sanger was, for one. Also, I had a sister-in-law who thought a fetus was a parasite. I have even seen that expressed here. I have seen those with that view say they are pro-abortion.
    As for pro-choice meaning that you want to keep the government out of your uterus, I want to keep them out of my home, but if I killed my six week old baby, I would expect them to come in and arrest me.
    callmeann

Answer by callmeann at 5:56 PM on Jan. 29, 2010