Is there a safe way to lose weight while pregnant?

I know...just the sound of the question seems even stupid to me,lol. BUT...anyway..I just had a baby last year and I really havent lost any of the weight!I started out at about 130...by end of pregnancy I had weighed 187! This was 11 months ago. I now weigh 161 and my New Years Resolution for the year was to get into shape and get rid of this baby weight...then I find out I'm pregnant again! UGH! Happy bout pregnancy...sure..I've come to terms with the suprise,lol..but man oh man...I am afraid of my pant size ladies! So..does anyone know of a safe and healthy way to get a little more in shape and even lose some weight while pregnant without harming the baby?I'm afraid I'm going to be like humpty dumpty here soon,lol. I just feel trapped in this extra weight..I can only imagine how I am going to feel in the upcoming months. I just don't want to wait another 9 months to start doing something, you know.Let me know your ideas! thx

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:28 PM on Jan. 29, 2010 in Pregnancy

• You shouldn't try to LOSE weight but it is ok to maintain weight which in a sense is actually losing weight. I was over weight when I got pregnant and my doctor had me maintain.

I just ate healthy, exercised daily and was careful about cravings. I only gained 9 pounds above my pre pregnancy weight at the very end of my pregnancy so I walked about of the hospital 20 pounds lighter than the day I got pregnant.

Go to www.blueribbonbaby.org. There is a healthy pregnancy diet there that is gear at a healthy pregnancy and good blood pressure. It's not geared towards losing weight but it teaches you how to eat what you need to have a healthy pregnancy.
    Anonymous

• Other than maintaining a healthy diet, no. Exercise regularly... Do not strain yourself. Pregnancy is NOT the time to try to lose weight.
    Itsonono

Answer by Itsonono at 5:29 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• walk for 30 min every day. That's what I did while pregnant and I didn't gain as much weight the second time as i did the first time. Ask your doc about it, she should have some good info for you.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 5:40 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• Not right NOW! You should be thinking more about maintaing and agining only exactly the right amount of weight and no more. Then when you have your little bundle use breast feeding(lactation to your advantage thats what I did. I pumped when I thought I could not feed from the breast. You will take off those pounds in no time if you get good excersie and watch what you eat plus lactate. I would just plan on having a breast pump handy right after delivery! GL Stay Healthy!
    Anonymous

• I agree you shouldnt try to lose any weight now, you can however adopt a very healthful diet for the rest of your pregancy so you dont gain more than about 30 or so, then after the baby comes work on losing the weight. And remember the only way to really lose and keep it off safely and healthfully is to burn more calories than you take in, healthy eating and regular exersize.
    dharmagirl

Answer by dharmagirl at 5:53 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• Think about just trying not to gain any extra weight instead! You will gain some, of course, but if you don't gain a lot you will be no worse off than you are now and you can start a weight loss diet after the baby is born and you have recovered. You may not gain as much because you are already heavier and you can eat a little more and still maintain that weight. So, just TRY to eat healthy and don't worry about the scale that much. Stay as active as you can. Focus on health. Enjoy the surprise!
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 6:43 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• It depends what your current eating/exercise habits are and whether there is room for improvement. Losing weight during pregnancy is not bad for the baby, but losing nutrients is. Don't try to cut calories, instead replace them with calories that are going to do more for your body and baby. For example switch french fries with baked sweet potato fries, which are low-glycemic carbs. For exercise do low-impact and lite cardio--think walking, elliptical, water aerobics, etc.--15-30 minutes a day will give you more energy and make your heart stronger. Ask your doctor, she be happy to help you get healthier. Simply getting healthier will help you lose weight in a way that will be good for the baby. :)
    SabrinaBean

Answer by SabrinaBean at 6:46 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• Watch yourself carefully this time. Gain no more than 15 pounds this pregnancy. It's not really the time to be losing. If you lose weight at all do it under your doctor's guidance. Plenty of water and some light exercise. Your doctor can tell you what you can safely do.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 7:16 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• this preg i am over weight and ihave lost 12 lbs from having really bad morning sickness and i havent really had moring sickness for the last 3 weeks and i still havent gain or lost any weight im trying not to gain weight from where i was before preg but im aloud to gain 15lbs but im trying not to im eating health im walking everyday we go for walks 3 to 4 hours on nice days and even if we cant i work in a hotel and we have 3 fl so i walk up and down and i use the stairs the hold time im working between running things around i also when i go to the store or some where i try parking far away from the door so i have to walk more just things like that and when i have to baby i plan on getting a fitness trainer everyone tells me the baby gaining everything and the baby is growing fine and health from the look of the u/s
    Anonymous

• healthy diet, low intensity excersize, and close doctor supervision, i started out this pregnancy at 221, and i an down to about 202 now, but i walk A TON, and eat pretty much only veggies ad white meat chicken. my doctor is not concerned bc the baby is doing very well and is very healthy. im not pushing myslef to lose weight, it just started happening on its own.
    erika_wright

Answer by erika_wright at 7:54 PM on Jan. 29, 2010