Boosting Milk Supply

I am fighting mastitis and am on antibiotics, etc to get rid of it. I am nursing, and pumping, and need to boost my supply sooner rather than later. I am already pumping between feedings and usually after he eats as well. Suggestions anyone? Thanks!!!

shanrem06

Asked by shanrem06 at 5:43 PM on Jan. 29, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Fenugreek.
    Anonymous

• oatmeal works great. also fernugreek and mothersmilk tea. lots of water. nurse nurse nurse
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 5:47 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• You're already doing the right things. What leads you to beleive your supply is not sufficient? Are you changing at least six dipes a day? If so, your supply is great.

The boosters mentioned above are fine...but know that normal pump output is one half to two ounces a session..TOTAL...and you may never see an increase from that. Pump output is only a reflection of your body's response to the pump, nothing else.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:50 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• The reason I think my supply isn't good enough right now is that I am only getting 1/4 ounce from one side and maybe 1-1.5 ounces from other side when pumping. Since my son has trouble latching on, I have been pumping more than nursing right now, and so he has been taking bottles of what I pump and is not satisfied unless he gets 2.5-3 ounces.
    shanrem06

Answer by shanrem06 at 5:55 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• Those are NORMAL pumping amounts. And satisfied is one of those mythical markers. You need to be nursing more than pumping or nothing you take will help you get more. Baby at the breast is the best supply booster. Expect him to get pissy about it and be happy when he does...that's REALLY what gets the milk flowing. Latching problems cannot be conquered without mom being more stubborn than the baby...so toss those bottles and give him no other choice. Yeah, he'll hate it. That's fine. Making him happy isn't part of the Mom Mission.

Happy babies are up to something. Fear them. **grin**

Answer by gdiamante at 6:36 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• This is what worked for me:

Nurse frequently
    Drink lots of water, at least 6 oz every time you nurse and every time you pump
    Have lots of skin-to-skin contact with your baby
    Take brewers yeast tabs
    Look at pictures of your baby while you pump
    Wait at least an hour after nursing to pump.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:16 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• The antibiotics could be dehydrating you. You definitely can't harm yourself by increasing your fluid intake.

I recently read a great book "Nursing Your Baby" by Karen Pryor. She discusses mastitis and maintaining supply.

Your little one is probably way more efficient than the pump. You could be letting down a ton more when feeding.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 7:58 PM on Jan. 29, 2010