How long does it take to get food stamps?

I sent in my application and the caseworker told me on Tuesday that she'd start working on it. Does that mean she's working on getting the food stamps or checking my eligibility? Will they let me know if I'm denied? How long does that decision usually take? If approved, how long til I can receive and use help?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:47 PM on Jan. 29, 2010 in Money & Work

• It depends if you have your "food card" yet or not. Once you are approved,benefits should upload to your card automatically. If you do not already have one, they will send you down to an office to get one. If you applied for emergency benefits it should take no more than 3 days. Otherwise it really depends on how quick and good your case worker is..maybe a week or two? But if you are approved, they usually give you enough foodstamps to cover from the first day you applied.
    Anonymous

• In our state it takes anywhere between a month to a month&a half. They do have to go through the checking and application process. I realize that ppl in need could be dead by the time they get through the red tape. Thats Indiana for ya though. I don't know where above poster lives but kudos to your state! 3 days is awsome. I guess the only good news is that the money/food stamps that you recieve is retro active from the time you put your app in.
    Anonymous

• I guess it depends. Back in August I applied for foodstamps and medicaid and was approved by the end of the day. Medicaid was in effect the next day (they printed me a temporary card) and our foodstamps were on at 12 midnight. I had an awesome caseworker!
    Anonymous

• Oh and I put an application in Friday and had an appt the following Tuesday
    Anonymous

• How long it takes will depend on your caseworkers work load (or attitude). But in general they have 30 days to determine eligibility. If you are denied you will receive a letter. Sometimes you will be determined eligible in far less than the 30 days, but the state system workload is overloaded and takes some time to get the final steps done.
    Anonymous

• I think that widely depends on area and the number of people that have applied, but it took us approx 2 months to get approved and almost another to get the card and our benifits loaded. Hopefully it won't be as long for you!
    Anonymous

• I filed (in Texas on August 28), had a phone interview on September 5, recieved my lone star card in about 1 week. I am still waiting however to officially be approved and to receive any benefits.
    brooks624

Answer by brooks624 at 4:25 PM on Sep. 26, 2013