How do you discipline your child for lying??

Today I had to call out of work and pick my son up from school early because the nurse called me and said he was having chest pains and short of breath. But he looked fine to her. After a battery of tests we confirmed my suspicions....he was faking it!! I explained to him how his lie affected many people. Myself, my place of work, the babysitter, the doctors and a patient who was really sick and had to wait because of him. I'm not sure what else to do if anything..what do you ladies think??

Enjoli

Asked by Enjoli at 6:03 PM on Jan. 29, 2010 in General Parenting

• Have him read the story of the boy who cried wolf, and then have him write a report about it.
    Anonymous

• You did great by letting him know how his lie affected so many others. I would continue to explain why lying is unacceptable, then give a tangible punishment, like no TV/videogames/friends over for the weekend. Make sure he knows you mean business. Then you should try to figure out if there's an underlying reason for him lying to get out of school, especially if this lie seems out of character for him. Maybe he's stressed out, bored, bullied... try speaking with his teacher or discreetly to one of his close friends to see if you can figure out if anything's going on.
    Its.Me.T.

Answer by Its.Me.T. at 6:17 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• I would have to know a lot more about the situation....why did he do that? How old is he? What is going on in his life? Was it an anxiety attack? That would mean that there was nothing actually wrong with his heart or lungs but he would still have trouble breathing.
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 6:19 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• I think you did good. I think reading the book about the little boy who cried wolf would be good too. Depending on his age he can write a report or you can just have a discussion about it. You may also want to find out why he lied. Is there something going on in school that caused him to want to leave early?
    Cafe Jenn

Answer by Cafe Jenn at 6:23 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• My daughter faked an illness once too.. when confronted about it (round about) she wanted attention from us, we had been really busy lately and she was searching for time with us...
    mtnmama111

Answer by mtnmama111 at 10:22 PM on Jan. 29, 2010