ok i just got a latter in the mail

telling me that my case with child support is closed becase he never showed how will this help me what will happen now?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:03 PM on Jan. 29, 2010 in General Parenting

• Thats weird..as long as you showed it should go through. My ex didnt show but I did...and he got slammed with the highest amount I could get for the proof of his income that showed up by pulling up his social security number.
    Anonymous

• maybe that the problems no papers he dont have it
    Anonymous

• I don't know that one. I do know that there is a difference between being closed and being terminated. As it was explained to me, closed simply means that they do not pursue getting it, and it does not keep adding up arrears. You can however, reopen the case at anytime and ask for the back child support. There's paperwork and proof of income and all that to deal with when you reopen though. Termination of an order means that you will no longer get child support and you will not be able to go retro-active to get money (like you could do with a closed case). You can refile and open another case, but won't get any money for the time before the new case is opened. I hope that makes sense. Sorry I could answer you better than that..
    Megs5384

Answer by Megs5384 at 6:21 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• letter
    Anonymous

• if they cant find or serve for a certian amount of time they have no choice but to close the case sorry
    freedomthinks

Answer by freedomthinks at 6:35 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• THE CASE WAS Termination BECASE HE NEVER SHOWED BUT 6 DAYS BE FORE I WENT TO TALK WITH THEM THEY TOLD ME THEY CAN PULL FORWORD JUST WITH ME ... HOW WILL THIS HELP ME AND MY KIDS IF THEY Termination CAN I STILL GET ON HUD AND THING TO GET ON MY FEET ?
    Anonymous

• It won 't help you If you apply for assistance you need to keep that letter to show that you are not getting asistance from him
    But unfortunaltly if they can't find him you will raise the child on your own sorry for that but it is what it is . I am sure you can do it
    freedomthinks

Answer by freedomthinks at 6:56 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• I think something was handled incorrectly. Your request for child support should not be terminated just because HE did not show up. If that was the case, almost no mother in America would be receiving child support. You need to contact the child support office and find out what happen and how you go forward.
    Anonymous

• If you have documentation showing that you filed and that it was terminated, then it shouldn't cause any problems with applying for HUD or any other assistance. If fact, since they count child support as income, if you're not getting it, then it should work to your benefit. But I would call the division of child support or your attorney if you have one and see why it was terminated. The other posters are right, if you are the one trying to get support, it shouldn't matter that he didn't show up. Usually, if you don't show up, you forfeit your rights. If you don't show up to defend yourself, then they assume you don't care. You need to get clarification before you apply for any PA.
    Did that better answer your question? I hope it did..
    Megs5384

Answer by Megs5384 at 12:11 AM on Jan. 30, 2010