My Mom in Law

I have to say I have a very good mother in law that I love very much, the prob is when she watches our 3 yr. She just decides to cut his hair, even though she know I do not want it cut short, she still cuts it. How can get her to understand without hurting her feelings.

got2boys

Asked by got2boys at 6:04 PM on Jan. 29, 2010 in Relationships

• I would first ask her why she cuts his hair. It very well may be that she thinks she is doing you a favor, saving you money. Who knows? I only believe that if she is generally a nice woman, she has what seems to her to be a very good reason for cutting the boy's hair. Then explain to her that she does not have to do that any more, that you would in fact prefer to have it professionally cut, maybe even tell her who it is that you like to cut his hair. If you go about this right, her feelings will not be hurt.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 6:34 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• When my hubby and I gave our son a mohawk, my MIL took it upon herself to cut it. And she didn't do a very good job either. She wasn't allowed to see him for 3 weeks. She didn't do that the next time!
    Anonymous

• I think she has to understand whether it hurts her feelings or not--that she doesn't have the right to cut the child's hair! That is actually kind of outrageous if you have actually told her NOT to cut it. If you haven't been as clear as you could have been because you haven't wanted to hurt her feelings, then it is time to be completely clear. Tell her you are growing it and you will take responsibilty for his haircuts!
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 6:14 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• You need to make it clear to her that it is your kid and that she doesn't get to do whatever she wants to your kids. If she doesn't respect your rules then you need to keep your kids at home and go with the kids for visits until she respects your rules. Some people take their parents crap because their need to be out away from the kids is more important. You have to make sure she realizes that you are in charge not her.

SylviaNCali

Answer by SylviaNCali at 6:37 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• Do not say anything right now. The next time she want to keep your child . Say NO and the reason why.

Answer by louise2 at 6:40 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• wow id be mad!! i always joke with my aunt that her baby boy looks like a girl and that i can put his hair in a pony tail. but i would never cut it cus she'd be soooooo mad!
    bmdred

Answer by bmdred at 7:16 PM on Jan. 29, 2010