why do people assume certian animals are dangerous when they are not anymore dangerous than other pets?

i posted a pic of my 2 yr daughter who was holding our 2 yr ball python...i got a nasty comment from a friend saying oh my what if that snake eats your kid? then callin me a bad parent for lettin her hold the snake, when really its not any more dangerous than a dog or cat. (of course im right next to her when she handles the snake) so why do people assume that snakes are such dangerous creatures? really a dog or cat bite would be more serious injury than a ball python bite, being they bite then coil back and my experience with cat and dog bites they tend to bite harder and deeper and hold on longer. ( and no none of my kids has been bit by the snake) and the length of the snake is roughly 2 ft and she is eating small mice, so doubt she could eat 22lb toddler. the snake has only bit ONE time and it was me and it was my fault, i had the mouse in my other hand when i got the snake out of her cage, very stupid on my part.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:16 PM on Jan. 29, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Same reason pitbulls have a bad rep... Ignorance. They hear a story about dogs (or in your case, snakes) harming a child, and just assume every animal is the same. My old roommate had a ball python, and I had no issues with it. I wouldn't want one myself, since I couldn't handle the rat feeding thing, but other than that, it was cool. Except when he thought it died, and he buried it in the back yard, and the damn thing dug itself up and came back inside, surprising me by hanging from the wall when I went down to do my laundry... But that's a whole different story, heh.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 6:32 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• They just don't understand snakes. Snakes have killed children. Not sure what type, so I just say clear of all of them. My brother had a snake and I held it and fed it. But I trusted him not to have a dangerous pet. I would have let my daughter hold that one. It's just education I guess. I don't trust any dogs I don't know for the same reason. Dogs have bit (regardless of breed) and unless I am comfortable with the animal, I'm not going ot mess with it.
    Anonymous

• , and the damn thing dug itself up and came back inside, surprising me by hanging from the wall when I went down to do my laundry.

hehe sorry but that is kinda funny. kinda surprised it came back into to its own house.
    Anonymous

• I have a Ball Python snake and my son has 2 Ball Python snakes. And I have 5 grandkids, all of them has held our snakes and they do not bite. They are not dangerous. They are not big enough to eat children, just mice and rats. People that don't now about Ball Pythons jsut don't understand. Just don't pay people like that no attention, and enjoy your snake. My family loves our Ball Pythons.
    toyota

Answer by toyota at 7:21 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• Ppl are scared of what they don't understand~ human nature. My dd is an animal lover,she likes snakes,she currently has tadpoles in her room. She and I both love nature. Some ppl just don't get it. Don't take it personally.
    momthruivf

Answer by momthruivf at 7:26 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• Why would you chance it!? Animals can turn on you out of the blue,no matter what it is.All i could think reading this is ITS A FRICKEN SNAKE! You act like its a hamster!
    Anonymous

• I feel the same way about 'junk yard dogs'... Doberman, Rotweilers, Pitt Bulls, Boxers, German Shepherds...
    These dogs are ALL great dogs - as long as they aren't bread for fighting and are not abused or neglected.
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 8:09 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• It's because people are uneducated. They hear one bad thing that a snake, dog, etc does and that makes every single animal of that type or breed bad. People are idots sad to say but its true
    happy2bamommy86

Answer by happy2bamommy86 at 9:19 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• You act like its a hamster!

have you been bit by a hamster? apparently not. i was bit by a hamster when i was a kid and had to have stitches in my finger cause it bit down to the bone. when rodents bite they dont give any warning they just bite and it hurts like hell, at least snake bites dont hurt...i didnt even realize she got me until i noticed the blood..the wound was the same as a finger poke from a diabetes kit, not like the rodent bite that left my finger sore and swollen
    Anonymous