Why is Climate Change On Obama's Back Burner ?

WASHINGTON, Jan 29 (Media Consortium) - In his first State of the Union address, President Barack Obama touched on climate issues only briefly. He called on the Senate to pass a climate bill, but did not give Congress a deadline or promise to veto weak legislation. Nor did he mention the Copenhagen climate conference, where international negotiators struggled to produce an agreement on limiting global carbon emissions.

Despite his combative language, the president did not challenge Congress to push for real solutions to ballooning carbon emissions and energy consumption. As Forrest Wilder of The Texas Observer notes, Obama "uttered the phrase 'climate change' precisely once."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/oneworld/20100129/wl_oneworld/world3687271264803364

If climate change is so urgent a problem, why has Obama dropped his climate change agenda?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:17 PM on Jan. 29, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Since those who want to tyrannize everyone else's lives on the pretext of climate change don't have a LEG to stand on, it's a smart move on Obama's part.

No climate change skeptic dismisses the importance of working to help with Pollution, Water Conservation, Energy conservation, etc ... all environmental efforts which were happening before this ridiculous hoopla about carbon dioxide started up.

I see widespread confusion about this, as if doubting that compelling every person and business to pay a fee for the carbon dioxide a gov't agency assigns them to pay is a valid plan means that I am against normal anti-pollution and conservation and alternative energy efforts.

Whether this is deliberate on the part of those who stand to profit hugely from all those fees, or done unwittingly by their true-believers, I do not know.

But either way, it is not a legitimate accusation.
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 7:16 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• Because Al Gore and all of the climate nuts have become a HUGE liability. We are sick of being governed and influenced by the fear mongers. The next to go is all of the "your baby will die if you__________!" I can't wait!
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 6:42 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• Because as of late things have been exposed as lies..and things have been exposed of the real modus operandi behind all of the fear mongering hoopla.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 7:03 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• Since climate-gate, every scintilla of evidence that they have is questionable. I think it is a better move to push for a little more recycling, a little more conservation, and a little less pollution over taxing us for our carbon dioxide output (which, btw, I have no intention of cutting down on!)
    29again

Answer by 29again at 7:58 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• Because of the incessant whining that he isn't doing enough to create jobs, remember?

SRiveroC

Answer by SRiveroC at 8:06 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• He'll get back to it. But for now he has higher priorities!
    Anonymous

• Obama can't win, he is damned if he does and damned if he doesn't.
    For me, I still support him.
    Anonymous

• Not everything can be the top priority. He probably feels people are more concerned about the economy, and I would bet he is right.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 8:47 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• Because global warming is BS and most of the world knows it.
    Anonymous

• Isn't there enough on his FRONT burner already? I mean, really. I'm honestly not a fan of the man thus far...but you have to admit he's got enough to deal with.
    anxiousschk

Answer by anxiousschk at 11:47 PM on Jan. 29, 2010