ready for Kindergarten?

Ds is 4 (will be 5 in March). We just had his conference with his preschool teacher and were pretty shocked that she suggested he spend next year in Pre-K rather than K like we were planning. He'll be almost 5.5 when K starts in the fall...I do NOT want to hold him back a year or he'll turn 7 during K!!
His social skills are amazing, especially for being an only child, she said.
She also said he is very sweet and smart. He knows numbers more than he needs to.

Her concerns were his fine motor skills. She said they are very weak. He never wants to cut or color or anything at home, so I'm sure that's part of it. We have bought all kinds of markers, crayons, paper, fun scissors, etc, and I try to encourage him to do some every day. What can I do? Should I find a junior Kumon class or something similar to help him? I just really don't want to hold him back from K.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:18 PM on Jan. 29, 2010 in General Parenting

• I think the Kumon class may be a good idea. Have you tried having a family craft night? Something the whole family could do together and display somewhere? Or take him to the craft store with you and let him pick something. Oh, you could try going on www.orientaltrading.com and letting him pick a craft project to order. Other than that, I don't really know. I understand not wanting to hold him back, but maybe if he stayed in pre-k for another year, and you worked on the kindergarten stuff at home with him, he could skip kinder and go straight to first. You could talk to the school district about it and get the kinder curriculum (sp?) so you know what to work on. Some kids just take a little extra time in some areas.. don't get too stressed about it. Hang in there mama

Megs5384

Answer by Megs5384 at 6:30 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• Since he's not behind in other areas I'd work with him at home and send him on to kindergarten.
    Anonymous

• While I don't think it's a bad thing for a child to wait a year for kindergarten, I think if he's up to par on everything else, he should be ok to start kindergarten. You may want to check with the school district to see if they can test him now for a delay with that. It will enable him to get extra help in that area now instead of waiting until he is behind. You can also try working with him at home and if he doesn't want to work with you, will he work with another family member, your mom or mother in law or a family friend?

Teachers can help to direct you in your decisions, however you are mom and you know what is best for you and your child.
    Cafe Jenn

Answer by Cafe Jenn at 6:54 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• I personally would send him is it normal for boys to be behind in them areas(my son was) but after being in K for a while he caught right up.
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 4:48 AM on Jan. 30, 2010

• Another option for you would be to do Kindergarten yourself at home with him if you feel he is ready but maybe just not ready for traditional in the school type kindergarten.
    There are many curriculums available that are exactly the same as the ones the schools use, that way, you can go at his pace and let him learn on his own timeline and not have to rush or push him, kids all learn differently and maybe it would benefit yours to do Kindergarten at home like that.
    jlizgar

Answer by jlizgar at 9:05 AM on Jan. 30, 2010