Good dog for a family?

We are moving into a place that will allow us to have pets. Finally! We all really want a dog. I have an 8 year old and a 2 year old. I want something short haired since both my husband and my son are sensitive to longer pet hair. But I need something gentle enough to be around my 2 year old. I was thinking a dalmatian, but I had heard they were expensive to care for, more so than other dogs. Any thoughts?

Mom1Stepmom1

Asked by Mom1Stepmom1 at 6:23 PM on Jan. 29, 2010 in Pets

• Dalmations are not the best family dogs, they can get pretty aggressive... They also frequently have health issues. Personally, I think your best bet is going to your local SPCA. All the dogs there have had behavorial screenings, so there are no surprises when it comes to that, they've been checked out physically, and best of all, you get to give a homeless animal a new home. What can be better than that?
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 6:29 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• They are very expensive....I would get a dober men pinscher puppy.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 6:30 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• labs retrievers almost any dog can be trained from a pup.
    Amberoz

Answer by Amberoz at 6:39 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• I have a pitt...that's right I said it. Now let the bashing and war on pitts began. May I add I've had him for 5 years, my son is 4 and we still haven't heard him bark? He doesn't know a stranger and funny thing is only heard him growl in his sleep, but I think he was abused/tramatized before we got him at 7 wks because he's the meekest dog ever. 110LBS and you barely give him a stern look or say his name in a "you're in trouble tone" and he ducks his head and runs off to his crate A GREAT family dog. Other owners of pitts WHO TREAT THEM RIGHT would tell you them same.
    Anonymous

• I soo have to agree. Dalmatians are not good dogs for small kids. A good breed is a lab. They are super friendly, eager to please and easy to train. Another suggestion I have if you have cable, watch Dogs 101 on Animal Planet. If not, look on the net for information about breeds on dogs. That is super important to do before you bring a dog into the house. The breed/breeds of the dog matter. Different breeds have different personalities. Like another dog I wouldn't ever get with kids is a doberman pinscher.

Currently though I have a Black Lab mix and an Australian Cattle/English Shepherd mix.
    kuriequinn

Answer by kuriequinn at 6:48 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• I would advise a small mixed breed..So many of the pure breed dogs have health problems like cance,r allergies, hip problems and etc. from over breeding..I have a chihuahua /silkiemix and she is 10lbs does not shed and her hair is not long so no haircuts and she is super sweet:)..No pits, no dobermans, no big dogs until your children are older and know how to fully respect the dog..

kjfamily

Answer by kjfamily at 6:59 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• I have dogs w/lots of hair/shedding. I have Pembroke Welsh Corgis so,because of the hair thing I can't say they fit what yor lookin for. Maybe you could check out a site about dog breeds and see what breeds are low sheeding. My Mom has Mini weenier dogs. They are short haired and really cute but he says as pups they were extreamly wild(big time chewers) She had a couple of weenier dog mixes before. They were mixed w/a Chihuahua~adorable and very good natured and hair was not a problem.
    momthruivf

Answer by momthruivf at 7:38 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• There are many sites where you can do a online quiz to find the best dogs for you. Dogbreedinfo, animal planet, dogtime matchup  These site have lots of good info too. Research the breeds best for you and your family. Then go to petfinder and search locally for dogs in need of a home. You can also do a search for breeds that are known to be good with children, although it depends on the individual dog more than anything. Take your whole family to meet the dog before getting it.

RaeLynn1221

Answer by RaeLynn1221 at 7:47 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• From experience, I would say that its the temperment of the dog and upbringing that's makes it a good dog, not necessarily the breed. I hear people say labs are great, but I've come across some CRAZY Labs. If you're concerned about the pet hair, check into the Miniture Schnauzer. They have "people hair". They don't shed their hair and they're as close to hypoallergenic as you can get with a pet. I'm severely allergic to all things with 4 legs, except for our schnauzer. The only drawback is that they have hair like people, and like people, it won't shed, but it has to be cut every 3 months just like a human :-) I never thought I could have a dog, and I surely wasn't interested in a schnauzer, until I met my now husbands little dog Msxine. She's so sweet and loyal. He trained her so well so she never barks or begs. Our 2 1/2 year old falls on her, brushes her hair, and takes her food and toys, but Max has never snapped.
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 8:49 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• A well bred pitbull would be a good choice.
    MotherofIreland

Answer by MotherofIreland at 1:20 AM on Jan. 30, 2010