Herpes?

I just got diagnosed with genital herpes but have only been with my fiance for the past 2 years. Except when we had a split for a week and I had oral sex with a guy friend. I had my first outbreak 2 days ago. Does anyone else have this and can you get it from oral sex?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:24 PM on Jan. 29, 2010 in Health

• Yes, you can.
    Anonymous

• It takes 4 days after exposure to show up. SO think back 4 days prior..what were you doing and with whom?And yeah..I have it too.
    Anonymous

• My mothers one of those ppl who knows all about STDS and perhaps just wanted to scare the hell out of my sisters and me. But you could've even gotten it from partners prior to your relationship. Most ppl don't get tested for things until they have a reason. Which is why i go in twice a year and come up with all this crap for them to test me for. Lol :) I'm sorry you have them, but really things don't show up sometimes till years later.
    Anonymous

• Yes...take Lysine...it's an amino acid that will keep your breakouts at bay...take one twice a day morning and night...unless you have a breakout then take one every 4 hours...you can even create a paste by dabbing vitamin E on your sores and applying the powder inside the lysine capsules..the E will not only aid with healing but will also make it stick. It's NOT the end of the world, lots of people have it now, they just have to take a brek from sex just like when a woman has her period...but try the lysine, you'll find the breakouts are few and far between and only in times of stress or when the immune system is down, like when you have a cold or flu...eat healthy, take vitamins and stay well and it shouldn't even be an issue in your life. (((HUGS)))
    Anonymous

• herpes can lay dormant for years, and you can be a carrier not even aware that you have it until you have a break out. I freaked out when I found out that one of my past partners had it, though we slept together years ago and went to get tested again, just in case. THIS is why regular testing is SOOOO important. even if you are in a monogamous relationship.

good luck to you! oh, and do try the lysine, my ex dh had cold sores (another form of herpes)... I got him on it and he almost never broke out. fortunately 8 years later, i show no symptoms, but i freak out if my lips get chapped. lol

its not the end of the world, don't feel bad. it can (and does) happen to people who truly are being faithful, and are careful.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 6:53 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• The thing is I got tested regularly twice a year. So thats whats making me questioning my fiance and the guy I was with before
    Anonymous

• sure can but i got mine from my mom. i get it every two month on the corner of my mouth. hubby stays aways! and i use bactroban. got it from my doc and it helps kepp it from going nuts!!
    Anonymous

• Some people don't realize that a cold sore (a form of herpes, Simplex 1) can be transferred from the mouth to the genitals during oral sex. Has your fiance ever had a cold sore? This could be the case. Also, it is much more difficult to detect herpes in a woman if the herpes began on the cervix. It may take years for it to actually migrate to the labia of the vagina where a woman will physically see and feel a lesion. She can be contagious and not know it if the herpes is residing on the cervix. Lastly, don't be fooled if you are getting tested every so often for STD's and think that you are covered. Dr's and clinics do not test for herpes during a routine STD check. Normally, they will only test for herpes if specific concern is conveyed by the patient that she was exposed or that she has a sore or lesion of some sort. Blood testing for herpes is costly and not routine. Lesion testing is more common.
    Anonymous

• Anon :20 here again, generally, a herpes sore has to touch your genitals for you to get it. So, if a person with a cold sore touched it to your genitals, you can contract it there. If you performed oral sex on a person who had it on his penis, then you would most likely get it on your mouth or in your throat. So basically, it is generally contracted where the sore touches. Women are more likely to contract it during sex because the mucus membranes inside the vagina are an open door basically. The membranes are so thin and allow the virus to pass into the blood with ease. It then attaches itself to the nerve endings and lives forever. That's why its triggered by stress, because its attached to the nerves. You can have one outbreak and never have one again, or like some, you may have one every month to 2 months. The last stat I read was 1 in 4 Americans has the disease. I hope your fiance understands and that he is accepting.
    Anonymous

• If your sex partner gets cold sores (a form of herpes) then you CAN get it from oral sex. My hubby gets them, we had oral sex when he didn't have a sore, and he gave it to me- this after 15 years together (and yes, we are completely faithful). Herpes type 1 (the cold sore kind) can be spread to genitals by oral sex contact (I didn't believe this but my OB/.GYN said he's seen more and more cases of this). Valtrex can shorten the outbreak, and I got a numbing creme by scrip that helps too!
    Anonymous