med change? (ADHD)

My son is changing from vyvance to adderal - not extended release- to try to help with sleep issues. This will be my first experience with multidosing during the day instead of an extended release pill in the morn.
If you do this for your child can you tell me details of how you do the dual dosing ect?
thanks!!!!

mommymeg03

Asked by mommymeg03 at 6:44 PM on Jan. 29, 2010 in General Parenting

• What do you mean? I give my son his meds at 7 and the nurse at school gives his 11 dose. That's it. If you need anything more specific just PM me and I will be happy to help and answer any questions. There is also groups on here for ADHD etc.. you can join if you are not already a memeber and they can help also..
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 6:54 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• I don't know if you have asked your ds's dr about Melatonin. I have a 9 and 5 yr old both w/ADHD and they would be up all night every night if they did not take it. It may help your ds a lot. It's an herbal that you can get at the drug store.
    I hate doing med changes,my dd is doing one Monday. She is going from Vyvance 20 mgs to Concerta 15. She just has been unable to eat enough on the Vyvance but it has helped w/focus. GL Oh,the ADHD groups are awsome on here too;)
    momthruivf

Answer by momthruivf at 7:14 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• melatonin doesnt work on him midnightmama I think I picked your brain last night.. We went to the dr today. I have to toy with the med over the weekend. My concern is if he gets it at 7 and 11, then it is worn off by 3 right? well school lets out at 345, and he goes to karate for after school care, and has homework.
    I will check out the adhd groups.
    Thanks guys. I hate med changes too!!
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 7:59 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• What time does he start school.. my son starts school at 7:45 and gets out at 2:30, so that is why we give it to him at the times we do. You can adjust it, and he can get another dose in the afternoon around 3. You just space them out every 4 hours.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 8:04 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• I drop him off at before school care at about 730 (I have to be at work at 8)

Thanks for all the info the last 2 days! It helps hainvg other mama's to talk to!
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 8:45 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• Have you done any diet changes for him? I know so many are skeptical that diet change wont work or help but I promise you it makes a difference, even if its a small one and even if the only advantage is that he is a healthier person! Try cutting out ALL artificial flavors, colors (colorings are a BIG one with the kids, most kids react the worst to the red dye), preservatives ect. They arent good for him to begin with but the way a lot of kids react to them is through behaviour issues. Go to www.feingold.org and read around at the info they have, this diet has changed my sons life and therefore has changed our family for the better! I put off joining the foundation for a LONG time because of the costs, but its so worth it!!!!! and even if you dont join there is a lot of info on the site nonetheless! Good luck!

jlizgar

Answer by jlizgar at 9:01 AM on Jan. 30, 2010