Has anyone's son ever had hernia surgery in the scrotom?

My 20-month-old son is supposed to have this surgery soon and I was just wondering what I could expect. How long does it take them to recover, etc.

landontsmama08

Asked by landontsmama08 at 8:03 PM on Jan. 29, 2010 in Health

• My son had one of his testicles lowered. While not the same surgery, it is similar I think. We were scheduled to go in early in the morning and he wasn't allowed to eat after 10pm. He was hungry in the morning, he kept crying for food, but they wouldn't let him have anything. There was some emergency that our surgeon was helping with so that is why we were late.
    When they finally lead us to his room, we changed him into a gown and the nurse came in and gave him some medicine to drink and he gulped it right down. He very quickly went to sleep in my arms and the put him in the hospital crib and rolled him into surgery. He was under for about an hour and they let us in the room as he was coming out of the anesthesia. He cried and cried, it was heartbreaking. But after about 45 minutes he was more alert and we went home. We had to take away his ride on toys for two weeks so he wouldn't damage his scrotum.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 8:23 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• cont... So at home he was tired and slept most of that day and the next. After that he was his normal happy self.
    Good Luck!
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 8:24 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• I had one son have surgery to correct an inguinal hernia at 2 yrs. My husband had to have it on both sides at 24. I can tell you dealing with the 2 yr old was a walk in the park compared to the 24 yr old. Our experience is pretty much like PP. Nothing to eat or drink after midnight. Show up at 6 am..we went home 4 hours after he woke up.

GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 10:01 PM on Jan. 29, 2010