Have you ever done a fast?

If you have, what kind of fast did you do?
How long was your fast preparation and how long was your actual fast?
What kinds of foods do you think our best to wean yourself off of a fast?
What were you reasons for fasting?
What have been the greatest benefits of fasting in your experience?
Anything else you'd like to share?

outstandingLove

Asked by outstandingLove at 8:05 PM on Jan. 29, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I fast. But it is a Christian fast. Right now I am on day 30 of a 40 day partial fast.

In 2009, I did a ten day fast, a 30 day fast, and I fast one day a week. It is an intense time of seeking the Lord, at least 3 times a day and realizing that He is all I need to sustain me, nourish me, strengthen me, and satisfy me. I also use fasting to prepare myself for ministry, for serious ongoing prayer requests, and for spritiual growth.

My long term fasts (30 days plus) are "partial" fasts of organic veggies and meat ONLY. And during that time I do full fast days as the Lord leads me. But for me, it is not so much about giving up the food as it is about filling myself with the Word of God. "Man does not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceeds out of the mouth of God."

It is a special and powerful time and I always look forward to it : )
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 2:07 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• I done a fast that I wasn't aloud to eat all day. My fast I couldn't eat after midnight and didn't eat until about 6 that evening. I done it at my church youth group when I was younger. I forget the reason for it, it was to raise money for something for the youth.
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 8:12 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• I fast at least once a year, on Yom Kippur. I spend about a week weaning myself off of coffee.

The older I get the easier fasting it. It is a day of prayer, reflection, and cleansing of my soul

Answer by rkoloms at 8:12 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• Yes.
    I do a 24 hour fast the first Sunday of every month.
    No food or drink of any kind at all.
    Religious reasons.
    Answered prayers.
    The money I would have spent on the meals I fasted is given to the church.
    Anonymous

• I fast on Ash Wednesday and Good Friday each year (except when pregnant or breastfeeding) for religious reasons. The money I would have spent on meals goes into the rice bowl that is then donated to CRS to help the poor who never have enough to eat.
    I did a program called JustFaith at church and someone in my class talked about the Third World Cookbook. It was a seven-day "meal" plan for fasting that had daily bible verses, prayers and meditations. It described the living situation of a poor person or family somewhere in the world and asked you to sacrifice by eating simple meals and to pray in solidarity with the poor. For example, a family in Honduras might have a piece of corn bread and coffee for breakfast, a cup of broth for lunch and then some rice or plain beans for dinner, and you would do the same for each meal, read the verses and say the prayers as a family, then donate your food money for the week.
    Anonymous

• i fast but not for religious reasons.

necro1134

Answer by necro1134 at 8:50 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• Yes. It's standard practice in the LDS faith for people (whose health permits) to fast once a month for two meals or 24 hours. We take the money we would have spent on that food and give it to a fund that goes 100% to the needy.

We are also supposed to couple this practice with prayer, sometimes doing it with special needs in mind for ourselves or those we love (as in the story of Esther), or just for a general growth of our spiritual sensitivity.

Preparation would include prayer, and nothing too big on the food and drink part, though a lot make sure their well hydrated before starting if they're in a dry climate.
    Anonymous

• Did them once a month for close to 34 yrs.
    No prep just stopped eating and drinking after about 7p the evening before and then had a nice dinner after church(so probably around 3-5p depending on when church got out). It was just a nice dinner, nothing fancy, like a roast or hamburger and some veggies.

I did it because it was pretty much expected(although probably not considered a rule). Did it to bring myself closer to Heavenly Father and hopefully get answers to whatever might have been on my mind.

If I did it beyond that monthly deal it was to gain some closeness and answers to questions that were bothering me that I couldnt quite get an answer to any other way. For guidance/direction.

Mostly it wasnt anything special and I really didnt feel the closeness I had wanted to. tTwice I got answers.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 9:17 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• I've done a few diffrent kinds of fasts... One was a 21 Day Daniel Fast.. No meat, no dairy,no sugars....I've done a 40 day media fast, 40 days of only christian media, and even that was to be kept to a minium, and in my old youth group the leaders would fast every wed til after service.. You should fast to bring yourself closer to God and to kill your flesh to let your spirit be the stronger being.
    CuteandCurvy

Answer by CuteandCurvy at 9:30 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• Necro
    it's okay if you don't fast for religious reasons. i'd still like to hear anything you have to say about it. :)
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 9:55 PM on Jan. 29, 2010