my 5 month old HATES my mom????

what do I do?? My son SCREAMS like he's terrified everytime my mom tries to play with him. She's not a scary lady, promise :) It breaks her heart and she doesn't want to come over anymore. He doesn't do this with his other grandparents or uncles..why my mom??? She's really upset.

mamalinlin

Asked by mamalinlin at 9:28 PM on Jan. 29, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Could be her voice, Or perfume. Or something that she does that startles him.
    I had an aunt I was terrified of and she was a nice lady. Thinking back I think it was the gap in her front teeth that scared me most.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 9:30 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• Just have her watch him from afar, maybe she wears glasses and it scares him? Is she really LOUD when she speaks? He will get over it. He will have to get used to many things in the world and keeping him away from people is not a good thing.

It will get better. Really. Good luck.
    Anonymous

• Did you ever try to have her babysit?
    My first hated her Gammy, too because we tried to leave her with her once. Everytime she held her, my daughter would scream like she was getting kidnapped.
    If it helps, she got over it at 14 months.
    Rileysmom425

Answer by Rileysmom425 at 9:31 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• It could be a number of things really. My son used to cry if my dad even looked at him. He was about 2 or 3 months old and my dad couldn't even hold him because he would cry and cry. I mentioned it to my son's ped. and she asked if my dad wore glasses. He does. So she said next time have him take his glasses off and see if that helps. Well sure enough, once my dad took his glasses off, my son was completely fine! Now they are the best of friends haha. Even the simplest difference in someone's appearance can frighten an infant if its something they aren't used to seeing. Also like another poster said, maybe its her perfume, or body lotion? Maybe the way she does her hair? Try and let her know not to take it personally. My son cried for pretty much everyone except me for a few weeks. It was just a phase.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 9:35 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• Does your Mom talk loudly? Wear perfumes? Lots of makeup? Lots of jewelry? Long nails? I had an Aunt I was terrified of when I was a kid. I came to understand later it was because her hair was all poofy, too much makeup and 'claws"..LOL It shouldn't surprise you to know I HATE clowns. Maybe have your Mom come over. Tell her no perfumes and such. Then just visit with her while you take care of the baby. Just let him get used to the sound of her voice...not right up in his face. Babies have personal space too. My neice as an infant would freak out on anyone who came in close to her face except her Mom and Dad.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 9:37 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• Don't worry my youngest was like this with my mom when he was that age too. He was just really attached to me. He didn't do it with everyone, but I told her that to make her feel better. He's almost two now and runs right up to her and hugs her when he sees her. He'll grow out of it! Don't worry about it.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 9:40 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• rileysmom, that's when it started! she babysat once for us and he's been upset everytime she was around ever since. I just figured since he was only 3 months old at the time he couldn't remmber that..but i guess maybe that's it! maybe he thinks we're gonna leave him alone again with my mom. thanks for the suggestions everyone!
    mamalinlin

Answer by mamalinlin at 10:19 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• my son jumps & cries when my hubby coughs. it scares the crap outta him haha :P so i agree with everyone else, it's probably just some little thing she does that scares him.
    wahm_abbeyrose

Answer by wahm_abbeyrose at 10:37 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• Riley was only 3 months old when it happened, too. Her dramatic reaction toward Gammy was the joke of the family for the next year. All Gammy had to say was "come here, riley" and she would scream and cry. It sounds silly and psychological for a baby, but I tell you, as soon as she realized we weren't going to leave her with her Gammy, shes been gammys girls ever since!
    Rileysmom425

Answer by Rileysmom425 at 8:57 AM on Jan. 30, 2010