Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I Feel Helpless :(

At this point I don't know what to do anymore. My 3 year old doesn't say a word, he still slobbers on his clothes, can't get him potty trained and is out of control most days. I love him to death, but I'm tired of sitting and watching everyones kids talking, and learning new things everytime I see them. Most frustrating thing is they are all younger than he is. We've tested for autism, that was negative. Got hearing test, nothing wrong with that. Been in speech therapy for a year (and still going now), doesn't seem to be helping at all. I've always stayed home with my kids, so I don't know what I did wrong. Some days I don't even want to be around him, and that is the worst feeling in the world. Please someone help me!

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 9:33 PM on Jan. 29, 2010 in General Parenting

Answers (15)
  • He will most likely grow out of it. Kids learn at different speeds. You can take him another doctor and ask for a second opinion. Try putting him in preschool maybe a couple of times a week. See if that helps. Maybe he's shy? Good luck.

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:35 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

  • you need counceling for you, and take him to a developmental pedi
    good luck and try to cheer up

    Answer by mommymeg03 at 9:37 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

  • I would get a second opinion from another doctor. I know you're frustrated momma but just remember that you are his survival and imagine how frustrating it probably is for him too! Just hang in there. It will get better.

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:38 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

  • oh my mommy. get yourself some respite care from a highschool girl, or girl scout or family member, maybe a person from church. Ask your ped for counselling referals. Kids can be hard I know. But you need to get breaks and keep them up to not get lost yourself.

    Can your partner help you and give you free evenings? Could ds be angry that he's not in a nursery school if he's not? Maybe he wants some activity classes and is just wound up and won't talk cuz he's angry.

    Let your ped know how anxious you are and ask for counseling names.

    Hope ds gets better and you too momma

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:38 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

  • get him around other kids so he can learn. Kids his own age. daycare would be good

    Answer by shay1130 at 9:40 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

  • Doesn't say a word and slobs? Has he been tested for Cerebral Palsy? Or there's this other developmental disability...I used to babysit a boy when I was younger who had something that was referred to as "Happy Puppet Syndrome" because children/people with this disability tend to have the gait of a marionette. Give it a google. I don't know a whole lot about it, but the child was so very affectionate, loved hugs and kisses, made eye contact, and was one of the EASIEST kids I ever took care of...but I was changing his diaper and he was five years old, he had the excessive drooling...I HOPE that's not it...but it is something to look into.

    Answer by WatermelonNerd at 9:41 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

  • He can still have autism, there is no 100% test that says negative....

    Also he maybe have sensory issues with the slobbering, speech etc...Some kids can have "apraxia" I think is what it is called.

    I would find a place at a children's hospital where he can get a good overall evaluation.


    Answer by Anonymous at 9:42 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

  • He goes to preschool 5 days a week for half days. And to be honest I doubt I need councling, I'm not depressed.

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:42 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

  • Second opinion from doctor for sure,maybe get a refer to a child psychologist. If you feel something isn't quite right in your gut...follow your instinct and push for these doctors to find an answer.
    As for yourself, take a've done nothing wrong. You've done the best you can...youre there for him day in and day out and will be for forever,i'm sure so don't be so hard on yourself!
    I think the best thing right now is to get some answers. I hope the best for you and your little guy! Good Luck!

    Answer by kimberlyinberea at 9:44 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

  • For the love of all that is good, get him to another Doctor. Don't sit around and blame yourself. You have to buck up and get out there and beat on doors till someone gives you an answer. Even get him in with a child psychologist is better than doing nothing. You are your childs voice and advocate, don't let one doctor tell you that there is nothing wrong when you know different. Start with another pedicatrician and get a child psychologist ASAP. Don't ask for anything you TELL them what you need.

    Answer by pnwmom at 10:22 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.