car insurance?

I've been hearing rumors about being able to get a rate decrease in auto insurance if you drive less then 2 hrs a day.

anyone have any info on that? All I can find is rumor mill stuff and I don;t know whats a reliable sorce.

Thanks

EarthMama05

Asked by EarthMama05 at 9:36 PM on Jan. 29, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I would call my insurance provider to get the facts straight. As far as I understand, most insurance companies are not concerned about the minutes but rather the miles driven.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 9:46 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• My insurance company reviews our miles, since my DH's work is less than 2 miles from our home they calculate how much he travels based on that and since i no longer work, my milege is estimated at 10 miles per month.

When I stopped working my rate did decrease slightly since i was traveling less miles. I have never head of minutes or hours being used, I would call your agent and ask becuase every company is different.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 10:41 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• As a former insurance agent let me answer this...IF (big if) you have a preferred policy, such as you have no tickets or accidents and present a low risk, you can receive a discount for lower milage. If you do not have a preferred policy you will usually not get a discount. The discount is typically 10-15% and you probably won't see a difference of more than $20. Just call your insurance company or agent and ask them if you qualify.
    LuvNMyBbs

Answer by LuvNMyBbs at 3:57 AM on Jan. 30, 2010

• I asked cause I have been hearing rumors and then when I was talking about taxes to a friend he moentioned he heard obama was suppost to be giving out a credit for insurance to lower premiums or something. thought someone might have heard about that.
    EarthMama05

Answer by EarthMama05 at 2:06 PM on Jan. 30, 2010