Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)


So, my mom died in April and i've been taking care of my brother sense then but there is still not custody in place (we're working on it). Can we still claim him own our taxes? We live in California if that makes a difference.


Asked by outstandingLove at 10:29 PM on Jan. 29, 2010 in Just for Fun

Level 20 (9,136 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (5)
  • as long as he lived with you for 7 months or more and he can't be listed as a dependant of someone else you can claim him and if he is under the age of 18 at the end of 2009 you might be able to get the earned income credit if you meet the money requirements.I just looked it up myself,my 18 yr old niece moved in with us in Feb of last year and she was still in school so we qualified for her as a dependant and we get the earned income credit.Its got worksheets in the 2009 booklet from the irs to see the qualifications if you do want to doublecheck what I've said.

    Answer by barndogsgrl at 4:17 AM on Jan. 30, 2010

  • Where is dad? Usually there is a paper for him to sign. Call irs tho, they are actually really nice and can answer all of your questions.

    Answer by _Kitty_kat_ at 10:55 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

  • as long as you have his ss card, and have proof that you have been taking care of him such as reciepts and other records (just in case u get audited). but i once claimed my cousin (as my brother) even though he was not living with us and everything went through just fine. but if you have a lot of income you need to make sure you have records to back yourself up!

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:59 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

  • There is no dad. my mom adopted him as a single parent.

    Answer by outstandingLove at 11:20 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

  • Youre probably good then with reciepts like anon said. I would still call IRS, but I am a perfectionist on financial things.

    Answer by _Kitty_kat_ at 11:23 PM on Jan. 29, 2010