Do you believe in "soul mates"?

Or that there's ONE person out there for everyone? What are your general views on that?

What's your religious affiliation, if any, and does that have any effect on what you think about "soul mates"?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:57 PM on Jan. 29, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I'm an atheist.  I married the only man for me.  He completes me and fulfills me on every level.  That is what I consider to be a soul mate.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 8:06 AM on Jan. 30, 2010

• i believe in a one true love for everyone :) im a satanist..i cant think of any way my religion would have to do with my thoughts on a "soul mate"...

necro1134

Answer by necro1134 at 11:00 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• well i am Christian at heart although i do not attend church regularly, but i surely hope there is such a thing as a soul mate still lol. honestly they just dont make men like they used to lol
    secondtyme520

Answer by secondtyme520 at 11:02 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• i don't necessarily believe in soul mates...i think love is a conscious decision; not something that just happens, and if you blink(or made the wrong choice in mate), you missed it. i find the longer i know my dh, the more i love him, and the better we 'fit' together.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 11:25 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• I don't personally think that everyone has 'one true love' and anyone else is second best. I think there are probably a lot of potential people we could love deeply. To steal from that song by Sublime: Life is too short so love the one you got, cause you might get run over or you might get shot! I practice Buddhism... that may influence my opinion a bit, since I'm more of a believer in karma than in destiny.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 11:29 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• Or that there's ONE person out there for everyone?

Nope.  A person can be whole and complete and live a happy, fulfilling, love-filled life without ever having a soul mate.  There are some people who have emotional/psychological challenges that may mean they're not able to have a soul mate.  I also think someone who looses a soul mate to death could find another soul mate.  There are some people who find a soul mate (I think I found one).  But that doesn't mean that everyone has one or should have one.   And there's an "unhealthy' side to the sole mate idea too - people get unrealistic expectations about relationships or think there's something wrong with themselves if they don't have a soul mate.

eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 11:29 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• I believe in a soul mate, but i also think that you could have more than one in your life. People and circumstances could change.The person who was perfect for you at one time may not be the perfect person for you at a later time. To me, if you can share your deepest emotions, fears, and dreams with someone, that person is your soul mate, if they share in return.
    I am not a religious person.
    Anonymous

• I do believe in soul mates. DH and I are both Pagan, we believe we were handfasted for all time eons ago, because we both have memories of being married to each other in two different past lives.

Yeah, I know what you're thinking...go ahead and bash away. My response? Bite me.
    daisy521

Answer by daisy521 at 11:55 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• i dunno about soul mates as in everyone has that one special person. but i do believe that we can find a person that fulfills us in such a way as to feel that they are our soul's match. i also believe that we are drawn to certain ppl by something we dont see, be it pheromones or something more magical. but i do believe my DH & i are soul mates in the idea that we were drawn together by something greater than mutual attraction.

im a Christian, but im very sure that has nothing to do w. how i see soul mates.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 12:51 AM on Jan. 30, 2010

• I do believe in soul mates but i don't necessarily believe that there is only one person out there that you could truly fall in love with. i definitely loved my ex but he was not my soul mate and i knew it. i also don't believe that it is easy for most people to find their soul mate.
    I don't think this is as all related to my religious or spiritual beliefs though.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:29 AM on Jan. 30, 2010