How often should I have a glass of wine whhile I am pregnant?

sjdmommy

Asked by sjdmommy at 11:00 PM on Jan. 29, 2010 in Pregnancy

• IMO Never!
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 11:03 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• Well, you are going to take some abuse on that question on this site. But honestly, every OBGYN I have ever had has always said that it's ok to have an occassional glass of wine with dinner. Just not daily or in excess.
    Anonymous

• :) Agreeing with Anon above- Any doc will tell you an occasional glass is fine!
    pinkcicle709

Answer by pinkcicle709 at 11:16 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• also agree with ANON. perfectly fine once in a while. actually, a long time ago,when my mom was pregnant with me HAHA, she drank a small glass of beer every day(not because she even liked beer, it happened to be the only thing that would quench her thirst)and her doc said it was fine. and i am just fine
    Anonymous

• I would NEVER drink while pregnant if you cant go nine months without then you don't deserve to be a mom IMO

lovemybabys1106

Answer by lovemybabys1106 at 11:37 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• NEVER!!! Thats the dumbest question ever, you shold never drink when you are pregnant. And like Lovemybabys said if you cant wait 9 months to drink then you dont deserve to be a mom. Alcohol is not in any way shape or form good for a growing fetus and WILL cause mental disabilities and other problems. That baby does not deserve to have a life like that !!! Think before you drink PLEASE FOR THE BABYS SAKE!!! If you love your child you will wait !!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:00 AM on Jan. 30, 2010

• Drinking alcohol while pregnant is tantamount to child abuse. I would not continue seeing an ob who said it was okay. I work with kids with FASD and it is heartbreaking to see these kids who have such disabilities because of their mother's selfishness. Even the ones on the lower end of the spectrum have such a hard road. There is no amount of alcohol that is known to be safe. I mean sure your kid may not have the physical look or the obvious mental disability that kids of moms who drink a lot have, but can you or your ob say with 100% certainty that you haven't affrected their impulse control or knocked a few iq points off? I'll be honest I have a lower opinion of moms who drink alcohol while pregnant. Nothing like starting off your motherhood putting your own needs above your childs.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 12:14 AM on Jan. 30, 2010

• Is there a reason you need to have a glass of wine while pregnant? The fact is that there is NO KNOWN SAFE AMOUNT of alcohol to consume during pregnancy. What is KNOWN is that one baby may tolerate their mother having had moderate amounts of alcohol during pregnant (a glass or 2 a week) and yet another baby will end up with FAS from the same amount. It isn't worth the risk. Again, there is NO KNOWN SAFE AMOUNT OF ALCOHOL DURING PREGNANCY.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:23 AM on Jan. 30, 2010

• Next time a dr tells you it's okay to drink now and then, ask them to prove how much exactly is safe during pregnancy. They won't be able to.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:24 AM on Jan. 30, 2010

• "Should"? You never should.

Can you? Yes, you can, but only small amounts. However, remember that alcohol is known to kill off cells. Your baby doensn't really have that many to spare when it's developing.

Look online for some great mocktail recipes-- I love Cosmos, but not allowed while pregnant. So I mixed cranberry juice, squirt of lemon, and a dash of orange juice to some sparkling water. It was delicious, and I preferred it over the cosmo-- still do. :)
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 12:41 AM on Jan. 30, 2010