What the heck can my son eat?!

He just came back from the allergist today who confirmed that he has a severe allergy to eggs, milk and soy. Okay those are in EVERYTHING! Most veggies and fruits make his stomach hurt too. He can only eat nonacidic fruits and veggies that aren't hard to digest (ie no gas causing cauliflower, sweet potatoes etc.) Any ideas? Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:12 PM on Jan. 29, 2010 in Health

• Can your doctor suggest a dietician you can work with? That is usually the best route to take when dealing with allergies especially the type your talking about.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 11:18 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• Oh you poor thing! I know how you feel. My daughter was born with those allergies. She couldnt have anything. It was so hard to shop for her. We had the read the labels on everything. She could have soy so we bought her everything soy. Your doctor should give you a list of things he can eat. The food allergies are very serious!! My daughter was sent home from an after school activity with food she could not have and we didnt know she had it. She ate it and died 15 minutes later. Did you doctor send you home with an epi-pen? I hope so because that can save his life if he does happen to eat something he is allergic to and make sure that epi-pen is near him at all times.
    rochellecole

Answer by rochellecole at 11:30 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• My nephew has those same allergies. I think my sister went to the local health food store to look at their food and check out their cookbooks. There are on-line support groups that have some wonderful information.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 1:19 AM on Jan. 30, 2010

• You need to call the doctor for a referral to a nutritionist or dietician

In the interim, you can find great recipes without eggs and dairy (you will need to work around soy) on these websites: www.theppk.com www.veganlunchbox.blogspot.com www.vegweb.com

Answer by rkoloms at 6:38 AM on Jan. 30, 2010

• Rice based stuff is going to be your new favorite!

Rice crackers with almond butter, veggie sushi, chicken and tuna salads with vinaigrette rather than mayo...

simplyrawrecipes.com

daniellecooks.wordpress.com  -- really great egg and dairy free banana bread recipe that is low sugar!

ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 10:13 AM on Jan. 30, 2010

• I found out a couple of days ago that my son too has several allergies including cow's milk, gluten, yeast, soy, and rice just to name a few of them (seriously the list goes on and on)! He sent us home with a jump off shopping list and first weeks menu planner. He also gave us several websites and the names of cookbooks to look into. He also gave us a free issue of a magazine called "Living without." i've only had time to skim through it but it has several recipes that even sound pretty good, the only other problem, I have and extremely picky 4 yr old already!
    karisia3

Answer by karisia3 at 10:53 AM on Jan. 30, 2010