Circumsise or not???

I wanna know what's your take on this situation, and what you would do...
When I had my 1st son, it was just me, a single 18 yr old mother, so I had my son cut. Well with this baby, I'm with his daddy, and we're going to be getting married soon... I asked him his opinion, being as he's uncircumcised, and my son is... But he keeps saying, "I don't know." We've gotta decide something before the baby get's here... What is everyone's opinion on this... Thanks!

Amy75972

Asked by Amy75972 at 11:33 PM on Jan. 29, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I struggled with this decision as well and ultimately DID have my son circumcized. Here are the reasons:
    1. As this is a "male" issue, I left the final say up to my husband who decided he really wanted to.
    2. I had an ex boyfriend who was NOT circumsized and at least 5 other close friends who were not. ALL of them wish they were. (It is not so easy to get done later in life.)
    3. Leaving the foreskin increases the risk of certain STDs and can be unsanitary. (People will say that it is all about the care, if you care for it right and the person with the foreskin practices good hygeine...it is fine. Lets be honest, most 10-15 year old boys dont practice the best of hygeine...it is only in the parents control for so long.)
    4. I have NEVER met a circumcised adult male that felt he had something taken from him without his consent and was upset about it. NEVER.
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 1:26 AM on Jan. 30, 2010

• I had my son circumcised. Not for any medical reason pretty much just for the physical reason. Didnt want him to be made fun of. (anyone who wants to bash me please save it). If you dont cut this one then I would start thinking of a reason to tell your oldest why his looks different. He will notice one day. Good Luck.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 11:35 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• I chose to have my son circumcised. For starters, my husband is, and he wanted it like father, like son. My husband says he is sooo glad that he is. I also spoke to male friends about it, and all of them said they're grateful they're circumcised. Not one said the opposite. I dated a guy in high school who wasn't circumcised and hated it so much that he opted to have the surgery at 17 years old! Let me tell you...it's a much more serious surgery at 17 than it is at 3 days old. Not only is it more sanitary, cancer of the penis is practically unheard of in circumcised penis'. There are also certain conditions that can occur as the penis is growing if it isn't circumcised. As for the pain, while it bothered me to think of my son having the surgery, his Dr. is one of the ones that numbs the area beforehand so that the baby does not feel any pain. He slept through most of the procedure and healed quickly.
    StefanieN84

Answer by StefanieN84 at 11:42 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• I didnt want to, its not medically necessary. My DH had a valid point though, he wanted his boy to look like his dad.
    My BL says he works with a guy that had it done as an adult and swears sex is better now that he's cut - I never thought about that 'til then.
    Just food for thought.
    Maybe your boys should 'match.' Just another thought.
    _Kitty_kat_

Answer by _Kitty_kat_ at 11:42 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• i had my son circumcised. basically just because "it was the thing to do". i doubt he will be made fun of if he isnt. i never made fun of an uncircumcised guy... as i am sure you did not with your husband. but i think the norm is probably to get it done, and that is why i did. also i feel like it is easier to care for/clean than an uncircumcised. but whatever decision you make will be fine. i know i felt bad for my son after he had it done... especially afterwards when i watched the procedure being done online!!! ouch. but he is ok. however, like previous poster said... you'll have to explain to your sons why they look different. (unless your 1st son is a lot older. good luck with your decision.
    Anonymous

• We did not have our son circumcised. I would not have a doctor perform medically unnecessary, cosmetic surgery on my son's genitals. People shouldn't be worried about their kids being made fun of. Only 55% of boys are circumcised in the US. Besides, "everyone else is doing it" is not a good reason to have a baby undergo surgery.

Here is some info you may want to look at:

The Case Against Circumcision

Don't Believe the Knife: Circumcision is a Bad Habit

Circumcision Video

PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 11:48 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• For one, the whole "maybe your boys should match" is rediculous and imo SICK. Your son's will not match anyway, they are not identical twins! People are different. Has your soon-to-be DH had any problems resulting from being intact? If not, why circumsize your new baby? Also, your DH has the ability to choose whether or not he would like to keep his foreskin. Why wouldn't you want to give your new little guy the same opportunity. You may have the procedure done when he's born and later on he may become very angry with your for doing it. He can never get his foreskin back. This scenario is possible, there is an entire industry focused on foreskin restoration. This wouldn't even exist if parents left the decision up to the owner of the genitals.
    Miss_Kay

Answer by Miss_Kay at 11:50 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• An adult man would only have to pull back his foreskin in the shower and rinse it.  Not any harder than keeping a vagina clean.  There is nothing difficult about cleaning an intact child's penis.   Care of an Intact Penis:

• Leave the foreskin alone; wash only what is external and readily visible.

• Never forcibly retract your son's foreskin and don't permit anyone else to do so.

• When teaching the child to bathe and care for himself, let the child retract his own foreskin if he wants to. He will not retract it beyond the point of discomfort.

• A child's foreskin does not need to be retracted regularly for cleaning until the end of puberty. It should not be retracted during early childhood
PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 11:57 PM on Jan. 29, 2010