"Causes of SIDS", WTF?!

I just found this on the internet:

The following factors increase the risk of SIDS:

* Babies who sleep on their stomachs
* Babies who sleep in the same bed as their parents
* Babies who have soft bedding in the crib
* Multiple birth babies
* Premature babies
* Babies with a sibling who had SIDS
* Mothers who smoke or use illegal drugs
* Teen mothers
* Short time period between pregnancies
* Late or no prenatal care
* Situations of poverty

HOW IN THE WORLD does situations of poverty have ANYTHING to do with SIDS, please.. someone explain this to me!

wahm_abbeyrose

Asked by wahm_abbeyrose at 11:51 PM on Jan. 29, 2010 in Health

• poverty leads to a risk of many things, SIDS specifically bc mom hasn't received proper prenatal care, she can't afford it. If she can't afford proper prenatal care she probably can't afford proper preventive care so she probably has older, more demanding children who may smother the child to survive themselves. think about a crack addictied prostitute who has popped out 3 kids & uses them to prostitute for more drug $$$$. Horrible things happen to kids in our country & others, especially others....also kids are more likely to be sold into child prostitution if their parents are poor. What worse way to die than suffocating under the fat roll of the man old enough to be your grandfather while he rapes your 2 yr old body.
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 12:00 AM on Jan. 30, 2010

• situations of poverty could cause the child to have no prenatal care of after birth care. They usually don't have adequate sleeping arrangements.

I think they meant Severe poverty such as third world, not poverty as we see it in the US. I would say it would be more of a confounding factor(meaning it can cause other factors) then a direct cause.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 11:56 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• the poverty factor might come in play due to lack of proper care. Like, just in my head thinking that a mom who lives on the streets can not provide a warm, safe sleeping environment for the baby. but, that is just my guess. I dunno.
    xtwilightx

Answer by xtwilightx at 11:57 PM on Jan. 29, 2010

• I think they are just looking for an excuse to use as a cause because they really have no good proof as to what causes it. My own pediatrician said not to worry about half the causes that they warn so much about because he has never seen such proof in the 20+ years he's been doing this. His own kids shared a bed and slept on their stomach. Poverty I believe is just another cop out reason to cover up the fact they can't admit they really don't know yet.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:03 AM on Jan. 30, 2010

• Some of those are untrue. SIDS is basically suffocation. A lot of studied have shown that it's sue to not having enough oxygen.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:04 AM on Jan. 30, 2010

• nyx7, okay i at least can understand that. i wasn't interpreting "poverty" that way, i was just thinking a family that doesn't have a lot of money, i didn't think about not being able to have prenatal care, etc.
    wahm_abbeyrose

Answer by wahm_abbeyrose at 12:09 AM on Jan. 30, 2010