Question about Mirena

I figured I would ask you ladies since I haven't had much luck with my doctor being very forthcoming about birth control. I haven't been using anything since august when I quit taking Yaz after I found that it was most likely the cause of my gallbladder disease and my ongoing digestive problems. I want to try to avoid taking any kind of pills because of my stomach problems. Hubby and I were talking about in a year trying to have another baby. But that is a whole year and I am sick of the condom situation. Would Mirena be worth it for a year? Has anyone had any severe problems from its use or discontinuing its use? I have heard it can cause damage that can make it impossible to conceive again....anyone, please give me some opinions and advice. Thanks!

xtwilightx

Asked by xtwilightx at 11:54 PM on Jan. 29, 2010 in Health

• I had my mirena for a year and a half. I have to say for the first 6 months LOVED it... I had medicaid so I didnt pay anything for it...
    But at about 9 months I was having the worst pain I have ever been in my abdomen on one side of my stomach. Then a month or two later it went to the other side... EVentually find out it had caused Ovarian Cysts... Then the last straw (which is why I had it removed) It gave me tons of Nabothian cysts on my cervix.
    Also my input on YAZ that bc is terrible... I got pregnant on it AND I got pregnant with twins, one of the twins died. Most likely due to taking BC not knowing I was pregnant. But now I am 27 weeks with a baby girl :-)... ANywho my doctor now reccomends me getting the Implanon after this baby is born... Also much cheaper if you dont have insurance or medicaid... Good Luck!!
    SAHHotMomma

Answer by SAHHotMomma at 12:43 AM on Jan. 30, 2010

• Its rather expensive for a year... i think when i had it done it cost $500... and that was a little over a year ago.

It gave my cyst which burst....and then caused me to have abdominal pain that they could not figure out the cause of....i had them take the iud out and the pain stopped. I've been without it for a year and ttc for the same amount and still no pregnancy.

but i have heard of others who had no problems with it....still rather pricey for only a year.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 12:00 AM on Jan. 30, 2010

• Mine cost 600. However my insurance company paid for it all. So, how much will your insurance pay? I had Blue cross Blue shield and they paid it all.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 12:04 AM on Jan. 30, 2010

• tntmom - thank you for your honesty. I really know nothing about it other than what it is. I am so scared to use it and then mess myself up. I already have enough problems as it is. I don't trust any prescribed medications/BC's anymore. I don't know what to do.
    xtwilightx

Answer by xtwilightx at 12:05 AM on Jan. 30, 2010

• armywife- i have really good insurance, not trying to brag...it's highmark bcbs too, and my husband also had it with his previous job, but this policy is better. So, they might cover it completely, just worried about the risks. Thank you for your reply.
    xtwilightx

Answer by xtwilightx at 12:06 AM on Jan. 30, 2010