What's involved in getting govt housing?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:32 AM on Jan. 30, 2010 in Just for Fun

• you mean like when you're in the military? you have to be stationed at the base you're wanting housing at, the active military person has to go in the housing office and request it. they will ask for ID and orders (for proof you're stationed there), and an LES i believe
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:37 AM on Jan. 30, 2010

• No. It's not for the military. My friend needs to get out of her house. She is pregnant. I'm just trying to find info for her.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:51 AM on Jan. 30, 2010

• Is this for Minnesota? I live in Minnesota and live in low income housing
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 1:08 AM on Jan. 30, 2010

• you mean low income housing? where are you? in illinois it was JUST on the news that they have shut that down for now. there is a 3 year waiting list!
    Tummysmomma

Answer by Tummysmomma at 1:15 AM on Jan. 30, 2010

• I do know you need.. proof of income ,background check,
    Some counties are shut down but some aren't.
    I got into my 3 bedroom right away because it's a very small town where there isn't a huge need. it's nice because it's not the typical housing project...just 8 twin homes scattered around 3 different areas so it doesn't appear to be low income.
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 1:25 AM on Jan. 30, 2010

• Where I live, there's a program called Section 8 (which is what I used when I was a young single mom). I have heard at present, there is no funding. Anyways, I just had to go to the Housing office, fill out paperwork, and was placed on a 2 1/2 year waiting list!!!!! I was soooo upset because I needed housing YESTERDAY.....with the Grace of God, the waiting list virtually disappeared and I became eligible in only a few weeks!!!

There are also apartment communities (low income housing) that are really nice and only people who make under a certain amount of money are eligible to live there. Rent is based on income. You should be able to find a place like this in an apartment guide. Look through the yellow pages...low income housing, Section 8, state assistance, social programs, etc. Once your friend gest hooked up with one organization, that organization should be able to offer many referrals for a multitude of assistance.
    TLALONDE16

Answer by TLALONDE16 at 2:44 AM on Jan. 30, 2010

• Here is SC I had a friend apply and she then called around to the local apt complexes and found the ones that accepted section 8. There are communities here but some places will rent through section 8. Not sure how it works, I just know what she told me. Maybe they can help her because she's pregnant.
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 4:27 PM on Jan. 30, 2010