Breast Milk Supply - Am I producing enough milk?

I leave the house when the baby is being put to bed at night typically to do schoolwork once my husband is home. Anyhow, my husband has been feeding our 3 month old 7 - 10 ounces the last few nights right before bed. It was about 4 oz he would feed our baby only a week ago. Our 3 month old has also been acting much hungrier during the day the last couple of days. Is there any reason I should be concerned about my milk supply? (i breastfeeding but when I'm gone the baby is typically fed formula) Thanks for your help!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:05 AM on Jan. 30, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• 3 months is time for a growth spurt so baby should be eating more. Are you pumping during the feeding you are missing? If you are not it is a very slippery slope especially at this point. Right now your body needs to produce more milk for your ever growing precious one and when you miss a feeding you are not giving your body the much needed signal to produce milk which will assuredly lessen your milk production leading to a lessening supply. If you want to keep up with your LO make sure to pump for every feeding you miss or your supply will go down. You obviously have the ability to make enough for baby so keep up with expressing milk at EVERY feeding or you may end up sliding down that slippery slope. Good Luck!!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:32 AM on Jan. 30, 2010

• Well, any time you replace feedings at the breast with formula it will impact milk supply. Is there some reason you can't do the last feeding?

That said... 3 months is prime time for a growth spurt. Baby will act starved and want to nurse constantly until your supply increases to meet his needs. With a bottle he will just keep eating because he can.

I would personally do all feedings myself and do schoolwork either while baby is nursing or after they are in bed. If you must leave, have your husband limit the amount he can give. If giving that much formula before bed becomes a habit it WILL have a long-term effect on your milk supply.

Once you are either exclusively breastfeeding, or limiting the intake of formula, as long as baby is making at least 6 diapers a day, your supply is fine.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 1:40 AM on Jan. 30, 2010

• Have you tried pumping instead of formula? This wil help with your supply.

Here is what worked for me when I was having supply issues:

Nurse frequently
    Drink lots of water, at least 6 oz every time you nurse and every time you pump
    Have lots of skin-to-skin contact with your baby
    Take brewers yeast tabs
    Look at pictures of your baby while you pump
    Wait at least an hour after nursing to pump.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:27 AM on Jan. 30, 2010