What can I do to make him gain weight? Should I be worried? cause i really am...he weighs 24lbs and his height should be around 32inches....help me!!!!!!

My son is 17months old, and he doesn't want to eat, all he would eat is only fruits and vegetables, everyday i make him foods i eat that he might like but he doesn't want it. I'm starting to notice his ribs and his sternum showing when i change his diaper. When I offer him and he says no I dont force him to eat it I don't give him anything so he would get hungry and eat but he doesn't he just snacks on fruits n veggies i know that's good but don't understand why he looks like a starved child. so skinny....

jnjdominguez88

Asked by jnjdominguez88 at 1:08 AM on Jan. 30, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I have a 9 y/o who has eaten non stop since the day he was born and he has ribs sticking out and looks like he must not eat very much. At one point the school called me to ask about his eating habits in the morning becuase he started asking for snacks lol. I had to increase his breakfast portion to keep up with him.

Some kids are just snackers who are skinny, they have a good strong metabolism that makes them the envy of every mom who loves cheesecake.

What does your doctor say? is you doctor concerned with the weight/height? Every child is different, there is no way to know exactly how tall your child should be right now, there is a general range but you can not know for a fact that your child should be 32 inches. My children were all much taller than what people thought they should have been and my nephew is half the size of my daughter of the same age. as long as he is eating and doctor isnt worried then he is fine.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 1:18 AM on Jan. 30, 2010

• Just keep giving him what he will eat. The important thing is that he's eating something. He'll eventually get on to meats but don't panic. It took a long time before my daughter started eating anything with meat in it. Does he like cheese? That's a good source of protein substitute for meat. Try that. Give him milk. Just don't worry unless the doctors have said something. ANd also, I wouldn't base the average weight to other kids because I think it should be based on the genes of the parents. That's JMO though.
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 1:19 AM on Jan. 30, 2010

• I have a 18mth well visit check up on the 15th of this month so I'm going to mention it to him. I have before but he wasn't as thin and he is now, The doc had said he was fine and that i shouldn't worry. My son doesn't like eating he sometimes likes mac n cheese sometimes he doesn't, and i offer different foods and he shuts his mouth, there's times where he eats good but most times he doesn't....
    jnjdominguez88

Answer by jnjdominguez88 at 1:23 AM on Jan. 30, 2010

• OK, My youngest just turned two. He is 24 lbs and 34 inches. About the same size as you 17 month old. His doctor is not worried about his size. He has actually made a huge leap in growth. He was only 17lbs at a year. There is nothing wrong with him, he is just small. Where are you getting the figures of 24 lbs and 32 inches?
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 1:24 AM on Jan. 30, 2010

• My doc has always said that some babies can live on air. Meaning they eat so little that it seems like they aren't eating at all. If he is still growing and is his happy normal self, you should not worry. Definitely mention it to his doc, but when kids start moving around a lot, by walking/running they often slim down.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 1:26 AM on Jan. 30, 2010

• my 3 year old eats constantly. She is around 37-38 in and is only 28 lbs.
    amymartinez0214

Answer by amymartinez0214 at 1:30 AM on Jan. 30, 2010

• If you are really that worried about it give him some avocado's. They are healthy AND fattening.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:31 AM on Jan. 30, 2010

• he hates avocado's lol ive tried that...my son has been sick with a stomach infection so when i took him to the urgent care they weighed him and measured him so thats where i get my numbers, thnx all of you for your answers, he's up right now and i don't know what he would want to eat right now cause he seems hungry i just offered him cereal he didnt want it...don't know what can i make him that is light and is not involving milk because he can't have milk until sunday doc said....
    jnjdominguez88

Answer by jnjdominguez88 at 1:40 AM on Jan. 30, 2010

• Sorry I miss read that. I thought you meant that he was supposed to be that size. That seems like a fine size to me. I mean it is the size of my two year old.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 1:50 AM on Jan. 30, 2010

• thanks a bunch i really appreciate it, i just worry because i look at him when i change his clothes and i see his bones makes me sad i feel like a bad mother but i know im not but sometimes comments about how he looks gets to me even when i shouldn't care i do...
    jnjdominguez88

Answer by jnjdominguez88 at 1:52 AM on Jan. 30, 2010