how long can a car seat be used?

I thought I read a car seat is only safe for 5 years as long as its never been in a accident. I plan on getting my son a new car seat but I want it to be able to be used for baby #2 as well. We dont know when we are having baby #2, it might be 4 years from now. Will my car seat be able to be used for our next baby until the baby is 5? How do I find out?

MaMa-niCOOL

Asked by MaMa-niCOOL at 1:10 AM on Jan. 30, 2010 in General Parenting

Level 1 (-3 Credits)
  • there's an experation date on the bottom of it if you look.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:19 AM on Jan. 30, 2010

• Most car seats now a days has the expiration on them. The one I have that was bought in 2008 expires in 2012 I believe.
    dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 1:20 AM on Jan. 30, 2010

• Double check the Highway Patrol. Atleast the California Highway Patrol has the up to date accurate information on car seats. If you want to be completely sure on the safety of your decision check with Highway Patrol. If your state doesn't have a Car Seat Technician I bet you can just contact CHP. ;)
    preggoandfat

Answer by preggoandfat at 1:36 AM on Jan. 30, 2010

• They are supposed to be good for up to 5 years. If baby number 2 comes after that for us then we will still use the current seats as long as they are in good shape. Between the 2 car seats ( my car and his car) we spent about 500. They are the safesest seats we came across and weigh more than our child. If you can keep the seat in a controlled temperature environment I don't see why you can't. I understand why they have expiration dates.
    coala

Answer by coala at 8:09 AM on Jan. 30, 2010

• I had read before that they are only good for 6 years. As others have said, new carseats come with expiration dates to make it easier. Bottom line is that carseats are plastic and plastic weakens and breaks down over time (regardless of temperature or anything). It poses a significant risk if there is an accident. So if you get a new carseat now, and have baby #2 in 4 years then it would only still be good for another year after that....not till that child was 5.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:39 AM on Jan. 30, 2010

• It depends on the seat. The manual should say or there should be a date stamped on it. Have you checked out the car seat safety group? I highly suggest you do :)
    sk_tennyson

Answer by sk_tennyson at 9:19 AM on Jan. 30, 2010

• Ok, does anyone have a britax marathon or boulevard? I will be getting one of those, probably the boulevard. I would LOVE to use it for baby #2! I guess I can go to the store and look at the bottom of their car seats :)
    MaMa-niCOOL

Answer by MaMa-niCOOL at 11:36 AM on Jan. 30, 2010